Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on bargaining at the dealer for new Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007 | 04:01 PM
ZeroFiveFour
|
Road Warrior
Default Need advice on bargaining at the dealer for new Dyna

Hi,

I've been riding for 15 years, mainly sport bikes. This year I will be buying my first HD. I plan on purchasing a Dyna Super Glide Custom.

The bike has 2900.00 Dollars worth of Additional chrome and other accessories.

With 1000.00 Dollars in labor added to the Full price of 17,600.

For a grand total of 21,500.00 Dollars.

How much of these totals if any are potentially negotiable?
Would it be reasonable to negotiate the labor of the additional accessories.

I have no experience negotiating with HD.
I will have my own financing, so essentially I'll be paying in cash.

Basically what would be a reasonable price to offer for the bike and not insult the dealership.

Thanks in advance.

Looking forward to getting on the road with the HD this spring.

Tom

Old 01-24-2007 | 04:13 PM
Wayward Son
Road Master
Default RE: Need advice on bargaining at the dealer for new Dyna

Sounds real high to me. For 18-19k, you should be able to buy about anything in the softail or dyna lineup. A wideglide should be less than the price you quoted. Go to hd's website and write down the list prices. Go see several dealers and ask what kind of discount you can get. I would suggest it's worth your while to travel a couple of hours, plus you just might have a good time.

It used to be a common tactic for dealers to bolt on alot of chrome or other do dads and not only get you for the list price of these objects, but the labor on top. Many harleys are (were) an impulse purchase item. 'I've always wanted one, and I have to have it'. When I was in the car business it was common knowlege that the more excited about the car the person was, the less they would negotiate the price. We called these types of folks 'laydowns'.

Walk away from your impulse. Shop several dealers. Look at other states dealers via the www. Look on ebay. Look on cycle trader. You have time on your hands. The dealer you were looking at is looking at bending you over. You can do much better. For the kind of price you are talking about, and the model, I would expect a 103 upgrade w/high compression pistons, ported heads, pipes, etc.the works.

Old 01-24-2007 | 04:32 PM
Droop
Cruiser

You're smart to ask for advice Zero. First you should mention which part of the country you are in. Also, which Dyna model in particular as well as year.

Prices vary by region. I hope you will at least check a few other dealerships in your area via phone, dealer website,or in person visit.

I would think any or most labor especially for chrome is very negotiable. I would demand free labor. They will profit from the mark up on the items themsleves.

When you know for sure your ready to buy THAT DAY. Ask the dealer for the OTD quote on the bike THAT DAY! The word "today" means something very special to a dealer. Its leverage for you, as the dealer knows your serious and you will probably ask around toother dealers in the area and each usually knows close to how low the other will go in price. Whatever your quoted on. Make sure you get theOTD (Out The Door) quote. This quote includes all fees set up charges, frieght,ect. It's a good idea to be content with 2 or 3 different colors or minor options before you call up.Thedealer needs to movemodels off the floor. So those are the ones you'll get your best deals on.If you let him know you are only interested in that one particular model you mentioned. He'll use that as leverage against you.

Always be prepareto walk out if you can't get the deal you feel is reasonable and especially if they will not stand behind the OTD quote.

Good Luck Keith.

Old 01-24-2007 | 04:47 PM
glide05
Road Warrior

The Super Glide Custom lists for around $15K. Setup as stock, it's already quite impressively chromed. Maybe a new headlamp, chrome switch housings and controls. Not sure what else can be put on it. For that price there would almost have to be a significant engine upgrade???

Old 01-24-2007 | 04:59 PM
ZeroFiveFour
|
Road Warrior

I'm in Maryland.
Thanks for the input, I'm glad I asked.

Iactually have the itemized work estimate in front of me. The wife asked for a copy, (shes awesome btw). The bike is already complete. It is one on display. It is a 2007 Super glide Custom. Pewter pearl. The price is listed on the tag for display.

The upgrades as listed on thework order include:

SS lines. Diamond back clutch and break lines.
Street Slammer handle bars
Diamond Back throttle
Smoked indicator lights

Chrome hand controls
Master cylinder chrome
Chrome switch housing

Chrome front end (forks)

Forward controls

Chrome inner primary
Shift kit linkage

Flush mount gas caps
Bullet Headlamp
Brawler Seat

What would be a decent otd price for this.
Thanks again,

Tom

Old 01-24-2007 | 05:14 PM
Droop
Cruiser

Sorry Zero. I'm not much of a gear head to be able to answer your question. However you should at least look up H-D's official website and find out what the MSRP Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price is on your model and some of its basic options. This will give you a base to work with. You may be able to negotiate below MSRP. Easier this time of year and much easier than a few years ago. Do a google search for H-D's web site. I tried to post the link but had problems.

Good Luck, Droop

Old 01-24-2007 | 05:33 PM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior

You should be able to get all of those accessories at a 20% discount (Check Chicago Harley). Check out the HD website for the list prices or just ask the dealer to show you how much of a discount they are giving you. From what I can see, it's none or very little. On top of that, there should be some wiggle room on the bike itself at this time of year. A 1000 dollars of labor probably cost them a third of that. Just using a rough number I'd say 19800.00 would be a fair offer.

Old 01-24-2007 | 05:51 PM
dlstanf2
Road Master

Hey Zero, Harleys are on the floor now. Used to you would have to wait for a new bike or you would purchase a used bike. My dealer has a showroom full and told me that MC dealers across the country were having a hard time moving the bikes; especially during the cold months. Also, anything added to the bike is negotiable. I saved about $3K on my bike by going down the road a bit. Hold out until there is snow and ice on the ground, the salesman might be a little hungry by then.

BTW, quite an extensive list of add ons. Tell the dealer you're interested, but only if he adds in a Stage One kit (A/C, Mufflers, & Map).

Good Luck

Old 01-24-2007 | 06:34 PM
Wayward Son
Road Master

You really have to ask yourself 'are those the accessories I really want to spend my money on?'. I think for that price you could have 103 inch motor, ported heads 10/1 pistons, pipes, fuel controller, se ignition, that's what I would spend my money on, not some chrome do dads. Not nocking you, if it's configured the way you want, go for it. It's just that's not how I would want to spend my money.

You are probably only going to do this once in the near future, and from the sounds of your post, you are not in a hurry. I would shop it to death. If you insist on buying the one you quoted, I would offer about 16 and see what they said.

Right now (as previously pointed out in this thread) it's a buyer's market. It's winter, inventories are building and the dealers want to move out inventory. You are in the cat bird's seat. Take advantage of your situation. You may find other dealers far more accommodating.

Old 01-24-2007 | 06:45 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member

my local dealer is selling at MSRP and for a short time is throwing in a free 103 ci. upgrade

[IMG]local://upfiles/12616/7BD9000B4BA84B3A806F20826C947A01.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Need advice on bargaining at the dealer for new Dyna