Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on bargaining at the dealer for new Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007 | 06:48 PM
rob_will
Tourer
Default RE: Need advice on bargaining at the dealer for new Dyna

Wow that seems a little high for me. I agree that buying in the off months is an added bonus and you should be able to reap the reward. I would ask the dealer to throw in the Stage I kit at no cost

Old 01-24-2007 | 06:52 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member

I saved a $1,000 on mine last month by driving 50 miles down the road. If I had it to do over, I would have gone down the road another 15 miles and tried the next dealer. Anyway, bottom line, it pays to shop around.

Old 01-24-2007 | 07:14 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

That price is WAY TOO HIGH!

I'm actually laughing about it. You're not really willing to pay that price are you? Man I hope not!

Buy it without all of that stuff on it, and ride it awhile, then you will know the stuff you really want to buy and what you really don't care for. The price you quoted, doesn't even include any engine work, just bolt on goodies!

Wow...I'm floored!

Joe
[&:]

Old 01-24-2007 | 07:15 PM
GeeRam
Tourer

I really need to stop reading these type's of posts.............[:@]

It's virtually impossible to get any deal on a new HD here in the UK unless a dealer has an unsold previous years's model in the showroom for at least 3 months after the 'new' model has come out.....

Ho hum......

Old 01-24-2007 | 07:39 PM
Sandhog
Road Warrior

I agree with the post asking the "Out the door price".
Tell the dealer that you will not ask but once for his best deal.If you dont like it leave and shop elsewhere,stick to your guns and dont fall in love with one bike,regardless of the extras.

Old 01-24-2007 | 07:57 PM
CobraSnake
Cruiser

i know if i were going to spend that kinda money on a dyna it had better be a screamin eagle dyna. sounds kinda high i would definatley look around harley dealers prices can greatly differ from state to state. you may find a better deal at another dealer i would look around some.

a new lowrider is 15795 plus tax and lic. and they have quiet a bit of chrome on them.

and by the way you will lose alot of money on that bike it you trade it back in. had a saleman ive known for along time tell me straight up they pretty much go by the book on trade in and you dont get nothing even close to what you paid for it. so basically you end up with a superglide custom which is worth 14645 new and i pretty sure if you look youll find a lowrider that will be worth 15795.

i was kinda upset when i took my 06 bob with 2105 miles on itto the harley dealer last fall. i have a custom paint job and
lots of chrome add ons and they only offered me 10,000
and it doesnt have a scratch on it anywere.

was going to trade my 06 bob in for an 2007 lowrider but didnt feel like bending over thier counter that day so i road home and said screw it ill just customize mine the way i want and keep it from now on.

Old 01-24-2007 | 07:58 PM
glide05
Road Warrior

Keep in mind that if you pay what the dealer is asking, drive away, and have to sell tomorrow, you'll be lucky to get 16-17K. If that loss is acceptable to you - then buy it.

Old 01-24-2007 | 08:08 PM
07fxdwg
Road Captain

Would the dealer your looking at be Mikes in Delaware? We stopped one day and all the bikes seemed to be priced $3000.00 over msrp. Super Glide Custom lists for $14,970. Security is $325.00. Even with freight that should not even be close to $16,000. $2900.00 of accessories less 20% is $2000.00. When I go my bike at Mills I got about 3 20% off oppurtunities. One on the day I picked up bike I got 20% off anything I wanted in the store. 20% off at my first service and have another 20% off parts plus a 20% off motor clothes coupons for use at any time. Til January 31st Mills is having employee pricing on thier bikes. www.mills-hd.com. Mills is in Burlington NJ. Ask for Larry. Or try Brians in Langhorne PA. www.brianshd.com. Ask for Scott McPietre. Mills and Brians are about 10 minutes from each other. Buy the stock bike and put on it what you want. Or if you want the one at your dealer that bad. Offer him $18,000 and a free 1000 and 5000 mile service. I wouldn't be afraid to insult him. He already insulted you. Jim Zeek

Old 01-24-2007 | 09:56 PM
Wide06
Tourer

I found you can take the MSRP, knock off 20%, and the dealer still doesn't lose out. I was shopping, and the dealer nearest me had the 06 wide glide and a tag of 17,900 (MSRP was 17,295, i think). I purchased a dealer invoice report for my bike and found that the dealer, of course, is making a killing.
I also shopped around and found the same bike 30 miles away, with a tak of 15,999.
After the nearby dealer giving me his "best" price of 16,500, I asked the nearby dealer what made their bikes so special that they cost so much more than other area dealers. reply was that they were actually quite comparable.
I showed him the printout from the other place. with a $501 difference, salesman said he couldn't touch it. I insisted he could and he countered with "well, I really can't. you're just going to have to go buy from them"

So I went to the other place, offered 14,500, which is still a profit for the dealer, and he came straight to 15,000. I was prepared to pay 15,500. he didn't know that, so I kinda made out $500 ahead of myself. all said and done, I got it for 16,500 and change, out the door, with 500-600 in accesssories AND the security system installed.

I'd definitely recommend a dealer invoice report for large purchases. at the very least, you'll know just how bad you're getting raped. I never showed them the report, though. I just memorized the numbers and used the data in casual conversation about the bike, which gave QUITE the impression.

All in all, I think from the start, once he figured out that I did my homework and that he wasn't going to be able to stiff me like he wanted, then he'd "deal" in a way that would prevent me from buying so he could wait for the next sucker to come along and pad his pocket.

Old 01-24-2007 | 10:38 PM
murphdog
Road Master

Zero, I stopped in at the dealer in Elkridge a couple months ago when I was up there andthey had a ton of new bikes on the floor, including several FXDC's. All the bikes had an OTD price on them which included something like $800 for setup and state sales tax on the ENTIRE price, which I think is 5%. Those two items alone would add about $1500-$1600 toMSRPon an FXDC. I guess we're lucky here in SC on the sales tax, there's a $300 cap no matter what the price.
$14,645 MSRP + $290 freight +$2,900 parts+ $1,000 labor + $942 tax = $19,777. What's the extra $1,723 for?

I agree with what everybody else is telling you, buy a stock bike and add stuff later as youdecide what you want. Shop around, get prices in writing to show dealers what you can deal for elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Need advice on bargaining at the dealer for new Dyna