Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top rear shock bolt/screw

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:55 PM
Nach
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top rear shock bolt/screw

Hello guys was putting my shocks on tonight and luck have it I think the dill hole that had it before me had been into as there was burs on the bolt which Kinda messed up the threads. Good news is I think if I just run a tap down the hole to clean the threads up and get a new bolt I should be cool. Anyone know if the dealerships usually carry these bolts in stock????

Old 01-24-2007, 12:21 AM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Top rear shock bolt/screw

It should be a stock item at most dealerships, just make sure that the replacement bolt is the same grade, usually a grade 8 as the one you're replacing. That's one bolt that you don't want to snap at the wrong time.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:24 AM
Nach
Cruiser

I was kinda thinking it would be since they probably screw one up every now and then. And your right its a grade 8. I just hope running a tap down sorts the threads in the hole out. If not it could get interesting then, I guess I could helicoil it if I had too.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:52 AM
Slayer
Cruiser

Just had mine replaced at the local stealership as part of a collision repair. You know you'd think people would look before they make an illegal left turn...guy hit me on the right rear shock bolt before making me and the bike slide down the street. I'm mostly ok, just bitter now. Anyways stealership had the bolt/screw in stock. For my 06 Street Bob it was part 54718-06A and a whopping $3.60. The screw (hex recess button head) was part 3378 and $2.15.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:18 AM
Psycho
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Nach

I was kinda thinking it would be since they probably screw one up every now and then. And your right its a grade 8. I just hope running a tap down sorts the threads in the hole out. If not it could get interesting then, I guess I could helicoil it if I had too.
That's one fastener I wouldn't consider doing the helicoil on. If you can't get the proper torque on it after running a thread chaser through there, then you'll probably have to get a longer bolt, and put a nut inside the frame. There is more than enough room inside for a nut, and the hole goes all the way through.

Good luck.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:49 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,111 Likes on 2,120 Posts

ORIGINAL: Psycho
That's one fastener I wouldn't consider doing the helicoil on. If you can't get the proper torque on it after running a thread chaser through there, then you'll probably have to get a longer bolt, and put a nut inside the frame. There is more than enough room inside for a nut, and the hole goes all the way through.
Good luck.
Psych, helicoils are good if properly installed.

In the case of thetop shock hole, I would go with afine thread, 1/2-20,one inch long helicoil.
Usually can't get those over the counter, McMaster Carr has em.

I would not hesitate to go that route myself,
andIF the threads are phuckedup, the tap only clears the way, doesn't fix it.

Then your advice to nut up from the other side I agree is right on.

And like you said - Good Luck

mud