Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Less than 1
6.20%
1-5
11.63%
6-10
4.65%
10-15
10.85%
over 15
66.67%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

How Many years of Riding?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007 | 03:21 AM
jca_54
Tourer
Default RE: How Many years of Riding?

I'm an MSF Ridercoach/instructor here in Texas and there was a gentleman who worked for the Texas Department of Public Safety (named Gary Schoenfeldt) who was my certification instructor. He passed away a few years ago. I sure do miss him. Would this be the same guy?

Old 01-28-2007 | 03:25 AM
mud
muderator
Riders Club Member

ORIGINAL: piniongear

Hey Mud....
Man, you are good with that Photoshop! I found one more photo that predates the one of Schoenfeldt's Wistang by one year.
This was 1956. Some of us in the neighborhood were building 'race cars' to run in neighborhood events. There were about 6 cars around and the big kids were the pushers while the small kids were the drivers. We would bash and crash the cars in a race to victory.

This shot is of me (12) and my buddy Gary (16) and the car we built (#58) using wood and metal. This was modeled after our hero of the day, Buddy Rackley who drove a 1932 pink Ford...#58, at the Playland Park Speedway in Houston Texas back then. Today the Astrodome sits on top of where the speedway was located. Looking at the photo you can see I am the little guy so I got the driving job.
.................................................. ..................................

...................pg
Another really cool snapshot pGear. Thanx.
You kids really built some neat sheet.

Your images are real hard to "work". Couldn't do anything with this one.
What resolution are you scanning at, if you are scanning these snapshots??

mud

Old 01-28-2007 | 03:47 AM
mud
muderator
Riders Club Member

ORIGINAL: jca_54
.................................................. ...........

Would this be the same guy?
same guy as who?

mud

Old 01-28-2007 | 06:25 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey Mud.........
These images are originally on film of course, and I have the negatives around here somewhere.
The photos (and others) were needed by my younger brother who was writing and publishing his first book in 2000. At that time I provided him with a black & white print of each photo he wanted to put into the book (Mechanics & Owners Guide 1941-1959 Harley-Davidson OHV Big Twins.....by Kirk Perry).

So when I wanted to post the photos here, I just scanned the book page and isolated the small photos with a crop. This was faster than finding the negatives.

I saved the cropped images (using Nikon Capture) as a jpeg because that is what the forum accepts.
Since the size limit is 500KB, I had to really compress the save in Nikon Capture. On the scale of 1 to 100 compression, I saved these at a setting of 1.
That's compressed! Also that is why I was so amazed with what you did to display the photo at such great size and clarity after I made the post. These images look like they came from a newspaper scan, and they in fact have that look having all of the litho-dots.

I am not selling books here, but if anyone wants to check out the book on old big twins, he sells it thru Amazon.com. (Library of Congress Publishing Data: Kirk Perry 99-94977........ Harley-Davidson 1941-1959/service manual.......ISBN 0-9672744-0-0)
pg

Old 01-28-2007 | 07:12 AM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior

Been riding since I was about 6!!!!!

Old 01-28-2007 | 08:37 AM
Cav
Road Warrior

About 38 years, as of this writing.

Old 01-29-2007 | 02:45 AM
mud
muderator
Riders Club Member

ORIGINAL: piniongear

.................................................. .................

So when I wanted to post the photos here,

I just scanned the book page and isolated the small photos with a crop.

.................................................. .................

I am not selling books here, but if anyone wants to check out the book on old big twins, he sells it thru Amazon.com. (Library of Congress Publishing Data: Kirk Perry 99-94977........ Harley-Davidson 1941-1959/service manual.......ISBN 0-9672744-0-0)
pg
What resolution are you scanning at pinion??

I checked out Kirk's books at Amazon. They really look to be very good.
Look interesting enough to read even though I no longer own anything 1941-59.

You guys are treasures. Good that Kirk has written this stuff down.
You should have a book or two yourself.

mud

Old 01-29-2007 | 06:17 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey Mud.....
Thanks for checking out Kirk's book. I will tell him you did that. He is currently finishing his 2nd book and almost ready to have it published.
He has a 1959 Panhead (his regular ride) and is building a 1955 Pan and a 1948 Knuckle (74 cu in) as he writes the book. The book is related to someone building such bikes from kit parts.
Kirk hangs out on FlatHeadPower's site and goes by the handle of Plumber.

I scanned those black & white photos in the book as text/line art at a setting of 1 on a scale of 1 to 100. With 1 being the highest compression possible.
For actual photos I scan at 600 dpi. I am told that 300 dpi is plenty, so as you may realize....I don't really know what I am doing when it comes to this stuff.
Did not mean to get off the subject on this thread here......sorry to all.....pg

Old 01-29-2007 | 02:39 PM
irlm1
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: mudpuddle

Looking forward toa photo of the m20.

Where are you located??

mud
Hi Mud

cool pictures you've added. I really like that bonnieville.
Is that a younger you on the panhead?

below is a picture of the m20. i took this the the night i bought it just after getting it home.
The good thing is most of the parts are there, but it is in a fairly tired condition, as it seems it has been kept going over the years by patching everything up or adding on whatever was nearby.
you can just make out an alternator behind the exhaust downpipe, which has a chain riunning down to a wheel welded onto the left end of the crank. guesssome guyhad todo what he had to to keep it running in tough times.
hopefully get it on the road this year, and start using it for regular use.
Oh, and I'm in Ireland. That small place on the opposite side of the Atlantic!

Old 01-29-2007 | 05:28 PM
hogwyld79
Advanced

Been ridin' since 1995. My first bike was a 1985 Honda Nighthawk. It ran like a champ but it was hard on the eyes. I went through a couple of years riding crotch rockets and decided that they weren't for me. Needless to say I went back to cruisers around 1999 and have been on them ever since. I bought my first Harley in 2005 and I will never own another bike that doesn't bear the prestigous HD logo on it.

Quick Reply: How Many years of Riding?