Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Less than 1
6.20%
1-5
11.63%
6-10
4.65%
10-15
10.85%
over 15
66.67%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

How Many years of Riding?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007 | 12:19 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: How Many years of Riding?

since 59, if a Sears MOPED counts. First Harley, 1963 do the math.

Old 01-27-2007 | 01:13 AM
mud
muderator
Riders Club Member

ORIGINAL: Bear64
Started rideing in 1958 on a 1957 H.D. XL have not been without a bike since then, I'm now 66
but I ride with a older guy that is 10 years older {76} when I was a wee lad he was my hero,
lived down the street from me and rode a Indian..
Always wanted to be a biker. never owned a car untill I was 27,

brought 2 kids home from Hosp..on the back of Sportsters..neither ride today? go figer.
Sounds like a lot of fun way back when Bear.

Any pix from day gone by??

mud

Old 01-27-2007 | 01:21 AM
mud
muderator
Riders Club Member

ORIGINAL: walterwindbag
Hiya Mudpuddle - "Tranny looks a lot like a pre unit limey, what's a Burman??"
You're right, a Burman "gearbox" as we call it was common over here in pre-unit days, also "Sturmey-archer" I recall. Many manufacturers would buy-in proprietary parts like gearboxes (or transmissions if you insist), even engines (think of Brough Superiorsand JAP engines), slap 'em together and you were good to go (100 mph in the case of the Brough).
All the best. W.
W. - so my memory banks got close on the gearbox.

Where's over here?? You in Great Britain??

Way back when I rode and owned a lot of the British machines.

We liked the Routt barrels on the trumpets, but we wouldn't tell anyone we did it.

Scourge of the streets.

But, I hated Lucas, the Prince of Darkness.

mud

Old 01-27-2007 | 01:30 AM
mud
muderator
Riders Club Member

ORIGINAL: irlm1
ORIGINAL: mudpuddle
I remember when you could still buy the beezers on the showroom floor.
I had forgotten about those tanks with the chrome sides.
Your beezer below looks to be around that same era, maybe 69-70??
Seems they went out of production around the time the foot controls were standardized,
moving the shifter over to the other side.
I'd like ta see a picture of the 1940 you're workin over.mud
Hi Mud, ya spot on, its a 1970 model. they changed slightly start of that year. The next year i think they went to the oil in frame with the foot change as you say. although the paperwork says mine was first registered in the U.S. in '69. In conneticut. It was then shipped out to europe about 10 years ago.Found some paperwork stuffed under the seat when i bought it. i drove it for about 8 years, then 1 weekend took a couple of parts off toclean up, 1 day later the whole thing was stripped out all over the housefor a rebuild. I love the Brit twins. Would love a commando. but need to save some more.$$€€
Will root out a photo of the m20 tonight, and attach it on. Hope to get it on the road this year.
Thanx for the info IR. Yeah tailight looks different for one thing.

Takin a couple parts off to clean can definately lead to greater things.

Nice job on the restoration.

I love the Brit twins as well, a Commando would be a big plus if you could add one to the fleet.

Looking forward toa photo of the m20.

Where are you located??

mud

Old 01-27-2007 | 01:41 AM
Matrix
Road Master

I have ridden dirt bikes and 4 wheelers Since I was around 12 years old I bought my first street legal bikeabout 7 monthes ago a 06 Dyna Street Bob.

Old 01-27-2007 | 02:01 AM
mud
muderator
Riders Club Member

ORIGINAL: Matrix

I have ridden dirt bikes and 4 wheelers Since I was around 12 years old I bought my first street legal bikeabout 7 monthes ago a 06 Dyna Street Bob.
Matrix, how many years of ridin??

That is the question.

mud

Old 01-27-2007 | 03:24 AM
kjriv
Road Warrior

Jeez about 32 yrs..

started with dirt bikes when I was about 8 and raced MX as a kidin the 80/125/250 class...had GTs, MXs, YZs,XRs, KDXs...still ride off road today with an oldIT175 circa '81...

Did the trike thing back in the 80s but didn't like that counter-intuitive setup to hook turns...

Been in the street since I was about 15 or so....25 yrs now...all metrics..KZs, GPZs, Ninjas,till I got my FXD few yrs back...haven't been w/o a bike since Happy Days was prime time!

Its genetic...dad rode, Opa rode, my Bro rides, now my son rides. My nephew is only one bucking the trend (and thats cause of an irrational overprotective mom)

Old 01-27-2007 | 06:40 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey Mud....
Man, you are good with that Photoshop! I found one more photo that predates the one of Schoenfeldt's Wistang by one year.
This was 1956. Some of us in the neighborhood were building 'race cars' to run in neighborhood events. There were about 6 cars around and the big kids were the pushers while the small kids were the drivers. We would bash and crash the cars in a race to victory.

This shot is of me (12) and my buddy Gary (16) and the car we built (#58) using wood and metal. This was modeled after our hero of the day, Buddy Rackley who drove a 1932 pink Ford...#58, at the Playland Park Speedway in Houston Texas back then. Today the Astrodome sits on top of where the speedway was located. Looking at the photo you can see I am the little guy so I got the driving job.

Rackley had another competitor at the track who was a young guy just starting out who drove car #2. That guy's name was AJ Foyt. His father Tony also drove, but was winding up his career in 1956. You may have heard of some of these guys. Blackie Lothinger, Doc Cosey, and many others that I forget. AJ was a bad *** when he was twenty-something, but he got worse as he aged in my opinion. Ahhh, the good ol' days indeed...................pg

[IMG]local://upfiles/8331/07D761ABDCA442C295770813A0798C9E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-27-2007 | 10:28 AM
Oldtimer of NM
Road Master

My first bike was a 6 month old '54 Velocette. The price was right for a hard working poor kid because the original owner couldn't figure out how to start it.

Old 01-27-2007 | 09:42 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member

My first street bike, after ridign dirt bikes of years was Yamaha 650 Twin. My first new Harley was a 1980 "Fat Bob" Superglide. Today I ride a 2007 Dyna "Street Bob." I guess the more things change - the more they stay the same!

Quick Reply: How Many years of Riding?