Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Less than 1
6.20%
1-5
11.63%
6-10
4.65%
10-15
10.85%
over 15
66.67%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

How Many years of Riding?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007 | 05:18 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: How Many years of Riding?

Circa 1957. Dennis Schoenfeldt of Houston was my best friend in those days and we began our riding then.
Dennis didn't have a lot of cash in those days, but needed a ride so he built his own. He found an old Mustang frame that had wheels and the three speed Burman transmission still intact, but lacked an engine.

His uncle had a Wisconsin 6 hp
engine (as I recall) sitting in a shed and Dennis talked him out of it. Denny pushed his parts down the road to a welding shop and had a steel platform welded in the frame to mount the Wisconsin on.

I remember that he did not have a throttle assembly in the beginning and so he hooked up the throttle to the front brake lever and that was his throttle. This photo was taken later because he has a throttle in the shot. Back then, you had to make do.
He used an open primary and the Mustang clutch. He got it running and rode this machine for a long time. Finally he was able to buy himself a brand new Triumph Cub and this old piece disappeared. We named the bike the Wistang because of the Wisconsin/Mustang mix of parts.

I wonder if kids still do this kind of work/invention today? Probably not.....I have not seen any of it anyway. This is the kind of stuff we did all of the time and it did give us a lot of mechanical knowledge which would serve us well
a few years down the road..................pg

[IMG]local://upfiles/8331/E7383FDD481B48BE8E48BC5841619ACC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-25-2007 | 06:30 PM
stewart1962
Cruiser

28 years riding, im gonna try and remember the bikes i had, here goes, from 16 year old

honda c 50
honda ss 50
honda xl 125
susuki 250 x7
honda 400 four
kawa z 650
kawa z 1000 mk11
susuki gs 850
honda 500t
kawa ke175
susuki gs 550
yamaha rd 400
yamaha xs 750 triple
honda gl 1500
kawa kl 250
honda cbr 1000
harley street bob.

think thats all them.

Old 01-25-2007 | 09:37 PM
2BKFXDL
Road Master

Started riding in 71, did the dirt bike thing for about 5-7 yrs then went over to street bikes, then back over to dirt on 3 wheels then 4 wheels. With the exception of just a couple of years where there was literally no time and not enough $$$ to have a bike I have always ridden.

Can't imagine not having a bike.

Old 01-25-2007 | 10:11 PM
Ugly Troll
Road Master

ORIGINAL: mudpuddle

Before that, I was fooling around with this, twelve years old:

mud

Ummmmmmmmmm are we talking about the scooter or the girls?

Old 01-26-2007 | 01:02 AM
mud
muderator
Riders Club Member

ORIGINAL: piniongear
Hey Mud....
I don't have a lot of old photos from the start out days, but here is one of my Eagle when it was new. I am at the handlebar end and my younger brother is to the left wearing his 50 Missions Cap. Time was 1957.
I will post another one that I found of my buddy in 1957 with his interesting set of wheels. I bet you have never seen one like this before. We called it the 'Wistang'.
Thanx for the picture pg. That is a great shot.

You two look like you're straight off the midway, a little relaxin after barking at the marks.

Nice machine, chrome exhaust, piping on the seat, looks like you're "adjusting" the headlight.
and I guess nowadays yawls getups would be called period clothing:

mud

Old 01-26-2007 | 01:03 AM
mud
muderator
Riders Club Member

ORIGINAL: piniongear

Circa 1957. Dennis Schoenfeldt of Houston was my best friend in those days and we began our riding then.
Dennis didn't have a lot of cash in those days, but needed a ride so he built his own. He found an old Mustang frame that had wheels and the three speed Burman transmission still intact, but lacked an engine.

His uncle had a Wisconsin 6 hp
engine (as I recall) sitting in a shed and Dennis talked him out of it. Denny pushed his parts down the road to a welding shop and had a steel platform welded in the frame to mount the Wisconsin on.

I remember that he did not have a throttle assembly in the beginning and so he hooked up the throttle to the front brake lever and that was his throttle. This photo was taken later because he has a throttle in the shot. Back then, you had to make do.
He used an open primary and the Mustang clutch. He got it running and rode this machine for a long time. Finally he was able to buy himself a brand new Triumph Cub and this old piece disappeared. We named the bike the Wistang because of the Wisconsin/Mustang mix of parts.

I wonder if kids still do this kind of work/invention today? Probably not.....I have not seen any of it anyway. This is the kind of stuff we did all of the time and it did give us a lot of mechanical knowledge which would serve us well
a few years down the road..................pg
Another outstanding snapshot from the past pinion.

Dennis built a badass machine, and the look on his face, he knew it.
Six horse Wisconsin, yeah. The WiStang.

Tranny looks a lot like a pre unit limey, what's a Burman??

There were a couple guys around here built TriStangs with the 650 trumpet motors.
Those guys were a little older though.

Yeah, times have certainly changed. There are still a few (kids), I'm sure, with the lust to wrench.
Like you, I learned to built things when I was very young. My great grandfather was a blacksmith,
and my father and his father built churches and theatres. I've made my living with my hands
for the last 45 years up to and including today.

Remember all the shiit the Little Rascals, and OurGang, and Mickey's Gang (British), built??
They were my HollyWood role models.

mud

Old 01-26-2007 | 01:07 AM
mud
muderator
Riders Club Member

ORIGINAL: Ugly Troll

ORIGINAL: mudpuddle
Before that, I was fooling around with this, twelve years old:
Ummmmmmmmmm are we talking about the scooter or the girls?
Yeah and yeahUgly.

Scooter 12, the goils 12, I was twelve as well.

Never got any better than that. Got different, no doubt, hard to beat though.

mud

Old 01-26-2007 | 11:28 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master

I graduated from a go cart to a Fox mini bike in 1967. My first real motorcylcle was a 1966 Honda super 90 that my dad bought me, I was 13. I have been addicted ever since.

Old 01-26-2007 | 11:52 AM
walterwindbag
Cruiser

Hiya Mudpuddle - "Tranny looks a lot like a pre unit limey, what's a Burman??"

You're right, a Burman "gearbox" as we call it was common over here in pre-unit days, also "Sturmey-archer" I recall. Many manufacturers would buy-in proprietary parts like gearboxes (or transmissions if you insist), even engines (think of Brough Superiorsand JAP engines), slap 'em together and you were good to go (100 mph in the case of the Brough).

All the best. W.

Old 01-26-2007 | 12:17 PM
jharp
Tourer

I've been riding since 1971 (35 years). I've owend 12 different street bikes, the last 2 are Harley's. Have also had 3 different street bikes for my 2 sons and about 6 different off road bikes over the years.
My oldest son now ridesSportster 1200 custom, my youngest is currenty riding a 650 Suzuki but wants a Buell. I told him well talk about the Buell when he graduates from High school. He's already test rode it and loves it.

Jim

Quick Reply: How Many years of Riding?