Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for wind buffeting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 07:14 PM
gcbnh
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for wind buffeting?

I have a 1990 FXLR Low Rider Custom with a Convertible windshield with sides that curve below the headlight and in front of the tank. Wind buffeting while wearing glasses and a half helmet has annoyed me for many years. The wind appears to come up from below my knees and into my face, also bringing up road sand and water from the front tire spray. The buffeting starts getting annoying at about 50-55 mph, but is shaking my helmet and glasses above 60 mph. I have cut the tall windshield down enough for me to look over it, and the longer Convertible windshield seems to work better than a plain one.

Does anyone have suggestions for success in reducing the wind to a reasonable amount? I would like to be more comfortable and safer, yet keep the same bike, when taking longer rides on faster roads. Thanks!

Old 09-09-2012, 07:24 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

100's of posts on this. The windshield is likely not the problem. Use the search function above with key word buffetting and set back for an hour and read away. Fork lowers on you model will help the most.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Andjh123
Tourer

Putting feet on highway bars and keeping knees against the tank works best for me. Otherwise, lowers and/or other aerodynamic mods will probably help with some experimentation.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 845 Posts

If you haven't done it already, take the visor off your half helmet.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:56 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

buy a FXD and run a QD HD compact windshield LOl

Old 09-10-2012, 12:57 AM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Received 214 Likes on 156 Posts

I'd say lowers would be best option.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:37 AM
Esuomm1
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by checkers
100's of posts on this. The windshield is likely not the problem. Use the search function above with key word buffetting and set back for an hour and read away. Fork lowers on you model will help the most.
Yep, what he said.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:12 AM
gcbnh
Stage IV

Thanks for the recommendations. I've been looking around online and it seems most of the lowers and baffles are made for the touring models, and engine guard covers (not real good looking permanently) aren't recommended for over 50 degree temperature. I did see a guy riding on I-93 with his legs on the top of the engine guard, and I wondered why he was doing that. It was probably to have his legs baffling along the tank bottom. Thanks, again!

Old 09-10-2012, 08:12 AM
razors edge
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Remove windshield. Roll up a jacket and tie it across the handlebars :-) maybe a sleeping bag. I have a pair of leather pants that work just right for me that I use on long rides.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:24 PM
3skid3
Stage II
Default FXDWG buffeting...

I've had the same problem as the 100's of others on here. When the windshield is off, no buffeting, but I like the screen on long trips. I have found that the buffeting, at least on my bike, comes from my lower legs, and runs up to my chest and right up my face where it shakes the snot out of my helmet and shoots my mustache up my nose. When I hold my hand out flat just above and to the inside of my knee, it all but stops. I tried some fork lowers, but they don't go low enough, plus they look like crap. I know the angle of my leg makes a difference too. I have forward controls which puts my shin right at the right (or wrong) angle to send the wind right at my chest. I've tried different heights of shield, fork bags, different helmets, you name it. I thought about making a flap that I attach to my leg at the knee to deflect the wind, but now we are really talking propeller head! Any other ideas out there???

Quick Reply: Advice for wind buffeting?