Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BCT baffles installation question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 02:27 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default BCT baffles installation question

I am going to remove the stock VH short shot baffles, do I have to remove the heat shields and pipes to pull them out? I got some wood cams here, it might be a good idea to do both at the same time. However I'd like to see the difference every stage, if I can possibly install the baffles after the cams. Before and after comparison Thanks!

Old 09-02-2012, 03:36 PM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure about shorts shots but I installed BCT on my big shots. The shield was in the way on the backside to where I needed to drill new hole to put baffle 6" into pipe. What I did was use a dremmel tool with blade and cut a small square out of the back of the shield to drill the hole into the pipe to install new baffle. Allows me to easily remove i later also.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:38 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

id just do it while i had the pipes off the bike.

having the pipes off is going to make your life much easier.

when i installed them on my samsons, the heat shield stuck out too far to allow me access to the end of the pipe, so i had to take the shields off.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:24 PM
DoomGloom
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

You have to remove the heat shields on the short shots to remove the stock baffles, the screw the holds the baffle in is under the full coverage section of the heat shield.....I just installed the Vance and Hines "quiet baffles" and had to remove the shields. You may be able to slide the shields forward after loosening the clamps, but I think it will make your life harder with them on.....effin shields are a bitch to get back on with the clamps bent to open them up to remove them.....you might want to put the clamps back on and tighten them a bit to recurve them to the right angle before reinstalling them...lining up the bands with the worm screw opening is a bitch....take your time and eventually it will work BTW..seems like I regained alot of lost low end torque with the quiet baffles. Took all the fiberglass off the baffles before installing them, the closed end caps on the engine side of the baffles cured the popping and changed the overall tone of the exhaust (deeper), sounds more like a Harley instead of a top fuel dragster at idle..... Good Luck! Post some clips when you are done if you can.....

Old 09-03-2012, 12:09 AM
==ShaDoW==
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on my side shots you have to remove them, they are over engineered anyway I only put two of the circle clips back on each pipe takes like 2 mins to take them off and on now,

Old 09-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Prodriverdon
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes they must come off and yes the clamps suck. Tape the front jug so you dont scratch it like I did. The biggest bitch for me was when I was installing the rear mounting bolts. I would also go to the hardware store and get new clamps for the shields, and back to HD for the STOCK gaskets. Enjoy.........

Old 09-03-2012, 09:43 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks all! I probably install the baffles when I swap my cams, have to take the exhaust off anyway. I am not trying to shortcut but I'd like to see the difference before and after, heard good things about BCT baffles.