Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front fork and wheel re-install questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 08:58 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Front fork and wheel re-install questions

Hello,

Installing the intiminators I ran into some questions that the manual didn't really cover when putting back together.

The forks. .after you slide them up to the proper height in the trees, you tighten pinch bolts, doesn't say to use loctite, I used blue. Says to do final torque right there on each fork without the wheel in yet. .so. .I saw nothing about 'aligning' the forks to each other. Seems wrong to final torque pinch bolts without the axle in.

So, is there a proper procedure to aligning the forks to each other, or does the axle pretty much take care of that since they have to be lined up for it to slide through both of them?

Next up: those wheel spacers, I know the big one goes on the nut side for a '09. .saw some people have 'v' notches in theirs, mine don't, just some lines on the outside. .i put those lines facing away from the wheel since I think they were like that before. Also saw some people use a drill bit when doing those axle pinch bolts. .don't see that in my '09 service manual. Is it necessary, is there instructions somewhere?

Thanks for your time,
Matt

Old 08-31-2012, 11:13 PM
BluBob
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On my 07 the forks are aligned by installing the axle with the proper spacing by inserting the drill bit with it just touching the fork.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:14 AM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

All that for intimidators? I just pulled the fork caps and springs and dropped em in.