Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine noise 110" Screaming Eagle

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 03:58 PM
russrudder
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine noise 110" Screaming Eagle

I have a 2010 Sreaming Eagle Fatbob. It has a clacking sound while riding. At 2800 RPM and above, it sounds like valve train noise to me. It doesn't have the noise sitting still and reving the engine and it only does it while riding and shifting from 2nd through 6th when the engine is warm. I don't hear it untill the engine comes up to temp.
I took it to the dealer (Buds HD in Evansville, IN) yesterday and they put it on the dyno to listen to the engine. They told me yes it does have a engine noise but it is not in the valve train. They also said they had a bike come in with the same noise but much louder and they found the wrist pin out of spec. and they replaced the pin and the noise went away. Then they told me that extended waranty service said if I would consent to them tearing down the engine and they found the problem it would be covered but if they did not see a problem or a out of tollerance issue it would not be covered and I would be responsible for the bill. I told him that there has to be a problem because it sure as hell didn't have that noise when I bought it. He then told me that if it was his he would continue to ride the bike till the next service which is about 2200 miles from now and see if it gets worse because he hates to see me get stuck with the bill if they don't find an issue. So I went and picked up the bike and made another appointment for next week with the dealer where I bought the bike (Four Rivers HD in Paducah, KY). The guy there told me that he has not heard the noise yet but it sounds like spark knock by the way I described the noise.
Does anyone have any input on this or know if there is a common problem with the 110" SE or the wrist pin?

Old 08-25-2012, 05:00 PM
russrudder
Intermediate

Any advice would be appreciated

Old 08-25-2012, 05:30 PM
cmancini26
Tourer

Funny thing same thing w/ 07 fxd 103 but they told me its " normal" especially in the heat I've been running it and no performance issues but if I take the windshield off I can't hear it but going to an Indy for a second opinion before warranty expires next month

Old 08-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Wireguided
Road Master

I know some 110 had valve guide recalls but I don't know if they resolved that yet.
The one I have here did not have a recall it is an 07fxdse engine..

Old 08-26-2012, 09:57 AM
russrudder
Intermediate

Yes mine is definatly worse in the heat and doesn't make a noise at all till the engine warms up. It is very loud cause I can hear it with no windshield and I have loud pipes (Big Radius 2 into 1)
By the way on the way to work this morning and the damn throttle cable broke with 12,800 mile on it WTF. Called the warenty center and their not open on Saturday or Sunday Lucky for me it broke right across the street from my union hall so I just pushed it to the parking lot. Guess I'll have to get a ride home to get the trailer after work. !@#$!!!! I thought I had 24hr roadside service but I guess not.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:12 AM
cmancini26
Tourer

Where you from??

Old 08-26-2012, 10:21 AM
cmancini26
Tourer

Never mind just looked at first post are no dealers open by you today?

Old 08-26-2012, 09:45 PM
russrudder
Intermediate

No not on sunday taking it in in the morning

Old 08-26-2012, 10:16 PM
caaraa
Banned

Yes mine is definatly worse in the heat and doesn't make a noise at all till the engine warms up. It is very loud cause I can hear it with no windshield and I have loud pipes (Big Radius 2 into 1)

Old 10-25-2014, 12:57 PM
NLeischen
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up CVO 110 Engine Noise

I have a 2010 CVO Ultra. After 1000 miles it started making noise. There was a tap-tap-tap and a clack-clack-clack. Brought it to many dealers. They all said that it was normal 110 noise. Finally on road trip Groves H-D in Winchester VA had several techs with a stethoscope check it out and concluded that it was a bad valve (roller) lifter. Groves is a great dealership, awesome customer service!

When I got back to Florida at Orlando H-D South (Kissimee) Steve Smart the Service Manager and his Techs checked it out and said it was lifters and suspected more problems. Will Swart the GM also got involved and was in agreement. Wow! What a great dealer. Been riding 30 years and have never been so impressed.

They tore it down (34k miles) and found many problems. Reconditioned heads, new lifters, rockers, pistons-rings, cams and oil pump. Also replaced a severely worn compensator. Basically a rebuild. All covered by ESP! Never a question about me paying the bill.

I was so impressed that I bought a new Limited from them. Even that was a great deal.

Normal noises my ***!

Quick Reply: Engine noise 110" Screaming Eagle