Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Flyscreen Experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 08:09 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default My Flyscreen Experience

I've been thinking about one of these on and off for a while, figured I'd wait and see how other things turned out before I tried this as a last resort kind of thing and what a mistake that was. Finally decided to just get one and see what happens - all I can say is WOW, this thing works great, better than the Memphis Shades which I never could get rid of the buffeting, WAY better than the 18" HD touring shield I tried (which had to have been the worst experience on any bike ever) and even better than the Clearview barn door which was admittedly only for winter and actually works pretty well for what I got it for - keeping the cold off. But this little National Cycle Flyscreen, works fantastic once you monkey with the rubber strips and get it tight on the forks - the combination of rubber strips the instructions say wasn't near enough but playing with the different thicknesses they give you (four) I added some more and got things nice and tight. Set the thing by eye about where I thought it should be on Saturday and went out for the first ride today. Hit the interstate and, 50, 60 then 70mph and there is almost no wind hitting my chest and ZERO BUFFETING, then I moved one hand up and down in front of me to see where the wind was hitting and found it begins to hit about chin level and by the top of the helmet (Full face btw) it is full blast. The funny thing about it hitting my helmet is that I feel none of that pushing I usually get and feel no need to strain my neck to fight it. I still need to tweek it some laterally to even out the gap but I can't say enough good things about this product - not sure what it would be like without I full face since I never wear anything else but for my setup with the dragish Fat Boy Lo bars/risers and a full face this thing works great, if you're on the fence about one or never thought of one - BUY IT, I think it looks pretty dammed good too and there's even room to stuff a small bag or something behind it.

Attached Thumbnails My Flyscreen Experience-fly03.jpg   My Flyscreen Experience-fly02.jpg   My Flyscreen Experience-fly04.jpg  
Old 08-20-2012, 08:24 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You know that doesn't look half bad.I'd have to paint that chrome band black but I'm not suprised it works.I have a Buell Cyclone flyscreen on my Suzuki and it works about the same.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:48 PM
AFONE
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I like it alot. Thanks for the write-up.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:03 AM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a sport screen on mine which is a little like a huge fly scree but not a big as a windshield. For me its perfect. I commute interstate a lot and there is no buffeting. The wind hits the top of my helmet just enough to make the vents work good.

Attached Thumbnails My Flyscreen Experience-photo6.jpg   My Flyscreen Experience-photo7.jpg  
Old 08-25-2012, 02:45 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member

Went on the first longish ride today, did about 125 miles, mostly back roads - 35-60mph and a little interstate on the way back. Does just what it is supposed to, keeps about 80% of the wind off below chin level, and maybe a 50-60% reduction above that, bugs still hit my (Full face) helmet but wind pressure is greatly reduced and yet you can still feel the wind hitting you - reminds me of sitting behind crotch rocket fairings, just a few little tweaks and it will be perfect

Old 10-01-2013, 05:02 AM
Jason Oates
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll have to keep this in mind. With my Wide Glide, I'm typically not a fan of windsheilds, but when I start going on truly longer rides this may be a terrific thing to throw on. Going 65-70 for a while can get a little fatiguing with the buffeting. Thanks!

Old 10-01-2013, 07:01 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by p51bombay
Hit the interstate and, 50, 60 then 70mph and there is almost no wind hitting my chest and ZERO BUFFETING,
What do you think the key is? That it's small enough not to create a huge vacuum behind it, and suck wind in from the sides and the bottom?
Or maybe that it goes down the forks a little ways, and helps close that gap?

Last edited by Warp Factor; 10-01-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:42 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member

Not sure what the key is but it sure does work - wish I had bought that first, it would have saved a lot of $

Old 10-01-2013, 12:20 PM
cm ride
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the same flyscreen on my superglide last Nov. I raised it all the way up bought a leather tool bag to put behind it and use it year round now. I wear a half helmet in the spring, summer and fall and go FF for winter. Like you said no buffeting keeps the wind off chest. Yup i still get the bugs in my face but thats ok. I found that changing the angel forward just a little to gt the tool bag in helped divert the air a little higher and it never grabs my sun glasses or raises my 1/2 hh so i dont get that raised look always stays low and on the brow. I do a lot of highway miles it works great.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:15 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DCLXVI
I have a sport screen on mine which is a little like a huge fly scree but not a big as a windshield. For me its perfect. I commute interstate a lot and there is no buffeting. The wind hits the top of my helmet just enough to make the vents work good.
I am digging the sport screen, kind of has more of a quarter fairing look than a windshield look to it.

Quick Reply: My Flyscreen Experience