Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laid my bike down today due to driver with head stuck in there rear.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 04:00 AM
StreetBob235
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad your ok and the bike is not as bad as it could be. Damn ignorant cagers!!!

Old 08-12-2012, 09:37 AM
pennetta
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a decent ending to a horrific situation. I don't know all the details of this incident, so the below is just general observations for everyday riding.

I've been riding street for 35 yrs and have owned 8 motorcycles and haven't been in an accident or layed the bike down. Sure some luck is involved, but practice develops skills that can make you react as fast as instinct can. I first rode minbikes and dirt bikes until I was old enough for a street license, but that was the best experience to see how to handle a motorcycle in an emergency situation because on the dirt you are always in a limited traction environment and you learn how to keep the bike shiny side up.
A motorcycle is narrow and sometimes you can steer out of danger instead of skidding right into it. You slow down as fast as you can without locking a wheel and navigate to a safe part of the road, or maybe a safe part off-road.
The last but most important rule is to ride like you are invisible to other drivers, because in many instances YOU ARE. I've cut-off motorcycles because I was looking for a car and the MC didn't register to my brain. If I'm the only vehicle stopped at a red light and a car is approaching from behind, I pump my brake lights to try to enhance awareness from the driver approaching. The worst is the oncoming car making a left hand turn across your path. When I see that situation evolving I'm precalculating where I'm going while having two fingers and my right foot hovering over the brakes. Again you may be able to brake and steer rather than brake and crash.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Wakko47
Road Warrior
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Good advice, Pennetta.

Glad you're OK, OP. Hit and Runs are hard to investigate, especially without a wheel witness.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:32 AM
sonnydaze
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pennetta
Sounds like a decent ending to a horrific situation. I don't know all the details of this incident, so the below is just general observations for everyday riding.

I've been riding street for 35 yrs and have owned 8 motorcycles and haven't been in an accident or layed the bike down. Sure some luck is involved, but practice develops skills that can make you react as fast as instinct can. I first rode minbikes and dirt bikes until I was old enough for a street license, but that was the best experience to see how to handle a motorcycle in an emergency situation because on the dirt you are always in a limited traction environment and you learn how to keep the bike shiny side up.
A motorcycle is narrow and sometimes you can steer out of danger instead of skidding right into it. You slow down as fast as you can without locking a wheel and navigate to a safe part of the road, or maybe a safe part off-road.
The last but most important rule is to ride like you are invisible to other drivers, because in many instances YOU ARE. I've cut-off motorcycles because I was looking for a car and the MC didn't register to my brain. If I'm the only vehicle stopped at a red light and a car is approaching from behind, I pump my brake lights to try to enhance awareness from the driver approaching. The worst is the oncoming car making a left hand turn across your path. When I see that situation evolving I'm precalculating where I'm going while having two fingers and my right foot hovering over the brakes. Again you may be able to brake and steer rather than brake and crash.
how many miles have you logged in 35 years ?

Old 08-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Have to lay the bike down, is code for I don't know how to brake properly. If you avoided the car by laying it down, you would have been missed by twice the distance if you had used your brakes properly.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Spud17
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Markk9
Have to lay the bike down, is code for I don't know how to brake properly. If you avoided the car by laying it down, you would have been missed by twice the distance if you had used your brakes properly.
Well I'm glad you were actually there to evaluate the crash for me. It happened on a side street and the car was going double the speed limit. No the only reason why I missed the car is because I crashed if I would have continued to go straight I would have hit it. but when the tire went out from underneath my bike it changed the direction of travel of the bike.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Markk9
Road Warrior

Dude, any time the bike hits the ground it's a fail...................

So from your statement the rear tire came out from under you? If so, you failed at braking, your primary braking force is from the front. Any time you lock the rear up, you made a mistake.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Spud17
Road Captain

So from your statement the rear tire came out from under you? If so, you failed at braking, your primary braking force is from the front. Any time you lock the rear up, you made a mistake.
If you reread it was the front tire not the back, and yes the bike went down not proud of it but it beats the hell out of slamming into a side of a car.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Spud17
Road Captain

I see in one of your post a few days ago you had a cage pull out in front of you and see you had to brake so hard your ABS kicked in. Well my bike doesnt have abs and the surface may have been questionable. So why are you busting my *****? I've also had alot of close calls and came out shinny side up maybe next time you wont be so lucky just like me.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Markk9
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by o_leary17
I see in one of your post a few days ago you had a cage pull out in front of you and see you had to brake so hard your ABS kicked in. Well my bike doesnt have abs and the surface may have been questionable. So why are you busting my *****? I've also had alot of close calls and came out shinny side up maybe next time you wont be so lucky just like me.
Sorry, not really trying to bust your *****..................I guess I'm so sick of hearing the "had to lay her down" from riders.

As for my incident, I knew I could grab as much brake as I though I needed with out having the wheels lock up.

Quick Reply: Laid my bike down today due to driver with head stuck in there rear.