Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDXT Saddlebag rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 01:43 PM
gnstalodz
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just voicing a concern.

Conely's bag material looked cheap, even though I'm sure it was stronger. The material on the original fxdxt bags looks 10x better.

ps molds look great.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:06 PM
LeatherPro
Former Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gnstalodz
Just voicing a concern.

Conely's bag material looked cheap, even though I'm sure it was stronger. The material on the original fxdxt bags looks 10x better.

ps molds look great.
I'm thinking that Conely had the same trouble I was, at finding the right filler foam to stiffen up the bag to make it look nice.. I found tons of places I could get the flimsy stuff, but it wasn't until today that I found the good stuff. I got the samples in from the foam specialty company today and they have just what we need. They should be shipping it either tomorrow or Monday.

As far as the cordura material itself, the stuff we got is a little thicker and stiffer than the stuff Harley used, though it does look a little different when you get up real close. The Harley stuff has a little bit coarser weave, but I think that material must have been discontinued, as none of the vendors I contacted had it.

Garry

Old 09-20-2012, 02:44 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just looking at the Conelys bags and they kind of point downward at the rear even with long rear shocks, which was not how the original FXDX bags were.Conelys bags also seemed to be right directly in the line of fire of a Thunder header.

By looking at the mold form of the back plate you have pictured previously on the bike during fab, your bags seem to not have this issue. I am sure this detail will be something people focus on. The locking feature on your bags is a HUGE bonus. Keep up the good work!

I am looking forward to pics of your saddle bags installed especially with the Thunder Header!!

Old 09-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Nice thread, like the bags.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:11 PM
gnstalodz
Road Captain

Originally Posted by parts eeter
Just looking at the Conelys bags and they kind of point downward at the rear even with long rear shocks, which was not how the original FXDX bags were.Conelys bags also seemed to be right directly in the line of fire of a Thunder header.

By looking at the mold form of the back plate you have pictured previously on the bike during fab, your bags seem to not have this issue. I am sure this detail will be something people focus on. The locking feature on your bags is a HUGE bonus. Keep up the good work!

I am looking forward to pics of your saddle bags installed especially with the Thunder Header!!
I believe Conely is or has fixed the angle issue. But it still leaves the cheap looking material.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:58 PM
LeatherPro
Former Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

UPDATE

I got quite a lot done today. I now have all 4 of the lid cutting dies finished. I just cut one of each of the parts, and placed them next to the pieces from the stock lid we took apart. If the new parts appear to be a little bigger, it is because they are. That stock Harley lid had shrunk up so much, you couldn't even snap it down, so we had to make the pieces a little bigger, which is what they probably were when the bag was new.

Next week we will cut a lot of pieces and start sewing the lids together.

Keep ridin'
Garry

Old 09-21-2012, 04:29 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

i feel like a kid at christmas time.......am i gonna have to camp out for a week in front of your shop so that i can get the first set haha

Old 09-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Some_Punk
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to see these boys for sale!!!!!

Old 09-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Bo_Jangles
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah been following this from day one. Pretty anxious.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:56 PM
jwright302
Tourer

Looking good. I think you're going to sell a ton of these but I only want one set.

Quick Reply: FXDXT Saddlebag rebuild