Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDXT Saddlebag rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 06:07 PM
LeatherPro
Former Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Fxdxt-I
Garry, how will these lock onto bike? Did I miss something, but after the handle is lowered what will stop someone from pulling it up and removing the bag.
On these first prototypes, we didn't put the locking mechanism on, because it isn't needed for us to build the molds. The pic below shows it on our CB3000 series that mount on newer Dynas without having to relocate the signals. It is a small lever on the inside of the bag with the other end causing the handle to stay put once the little lever is down. You can then slip a padlock around the little handle and through the d-ring riveted on the inside of the bag to lock the bags on. It is really simple and has worked great.

The back side of the lever is shown on the same bag in this photo.

Still working on the right side mold, it will actually hold more than the left because the brake doesn't take up near as much room as the belt guard.

Garry

Old 09-04-2012, 08:37 PM
jwright302
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07bobber
Garry, thanks for the update.....looking forward to seeing the finished product and sending a payment lol
Count me in also.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:24 AM
Bo_Jangles
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know its only been two days but....hows it coming.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:43 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Leather Pro,

I used that same style turn buckle on alot of custom fiberglass body kits. I know you said they dont spin or change adjustment , but I just wanted to give you this input. I did use a jam nut on one side of my turnbuckles ( because you only need one and the other side is opposite threads ) to lock the adjustment length in. However I did consider just using red loctite to prevent vibration from spinning them also.

Just an observation and some input.

Great Job So Far!!

Old 09-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Parrish
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very interested in these bags! I'll be watching this build very closely. Please PM me as soon as you have more info/pictures/price. I have a 2008 fxdb no sissy bar or luggage rack, by the way. I know plenty of others with similar bikes that will be interested also.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:52 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

yeah as soon as thier ready pm me also.....

Old 09-10-2012, 08:18 AM
LeatherPro
Former Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by parts eeter
Leather Pro,

I used that same style turn buckle on alot of custom fiberglass body kits. I know you said they dont spin or change adjustment , but I just wanted to give you this input. I did use a jam nut on one side of my turnbuckles ( because you only need one and the other side is opposite threads ) to lock the adjustment length in. However I did consider just using red loctite to prevent vibration from spinning them also.

Just an observation and some input.

Great Job So Far!!
It's good to see that other people had the same concerns as me, especially on a vibrating Harley. That is why we designed the handle with a tab than pins the turnbuckle to the bracket back back when closed. I tested this design on my Sportster for over 4 months and didn't have any problems with it. The bracket does have a break-in period as the jaws get a little dent in them from being tightened down so tight on the docking point, so they have to be adjusted the first week or so- that is why I didn't want to use red Loctite or a jam nut. Once I get these ready to go, we will post the mounting instructions on our website, which should help explain the system better.

Garry

Old 09-10-2012, 09:37 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking forward to the finish product!

Old 09-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Elwood87
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me in Garry!!! Cant wait to see these!!

Old 09-12-2012, 02:36 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Any updates garry?

Quick Reply: FXDXT Saddlebag rebuild