Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDXT Saddlebag rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 12:51 AM
t-sportkid01
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up fxdxt leatherpro bags

Had my bags for about a week now great bags the only problem i've had was the buttons I've had 3 snap off already and had to have them replaced easy fix but a little frustrating no big deal it is what it is. Oh and already had some one try to steal them and bent the adjuster link so I have to figure out how to replace it. But all around built very strong and they look great. Thanks to leather pros GARY was awsome hella cool dude A+ service

Old 03-29-2013, 01:27 AM
macnab_sf
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad your bags didn't get stolen. Can you shoot a pic of the damage?

I had a button head pop off too. Garry sent me a bag full of new button heads. Thanks Garry!

Old 03-29-2013, 07:07 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Same here, 1 button broke off but Garry sent replacement snaps

Old 03-29-2013, 08:33 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

I had the same issue. I have a buddy who has snaps and such so we fixed them with new ones took 5 minutes. Gary offered to fix this for free but I did not want to ship my bags back to him.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Gibbor
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have any idea how these bags hold up to rain? Unlike a good number of you folks that live in areas where it doesn't rain all that much I am occasionally unlucky enough to get caught in the rain every now and then. Just curious if all my swag is gonna get wet if I happen upon some rain? I have a set of Kuryakyn bags that actually have built in rain flys that can be stowed away when not needed. Didn't know if anyone else had though of this?

Old 04-17-2013, 08:42 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by parts eeter
Garry,
I am gonna run a Avon 160 size rear tire on my FXDX and want to use the nut plates you show in your video ( the version with BOTH the sleeves threaded) and just want to confirm that the part number for the docking hardware you mentioned also fits the FXDX. I have to do away with any protrusions in the fender area to avoid my tire rubbing so I need those inner fender nut plates like u have.

Did you happen to have the nut plate part numbers individually as I dont need any of the rest of that kit anyway?
Originally Posted by LeatherPro
You might have to drill out the fender and frame holes for it to fit, but the hole spacing is the same. part #60198-06.

garry

OK, well after much time has passed since I received these saddlebags from Gary I finally had some time to install these bags.

I ordered some HD Pt# 60198-06 brackets and waited a week for my dealer to receive them. Once I received them yesterday I decided to get to installing my new bags. I drilled the struts,strut covers, and fender holes to fit the new Pt# 60198-06 fender support brackets.

( I used these brackets so I did not have to have a bolt/nut protruding into the fender well which could possibly interfere with a wider 160 tire on my FXDX)

All was well with the world until I tightened down the new hardware only to discover the 60198-06 fender support brackets would bulge out into the fender well area. I tried everything to try and get them to fit. Heat/dolly/Shrinking/ etc..... They just refused to lay down properly.

So, now I have to figure something out. Well, luckily I have a great hardware shop close by with a girl there that knows her way around the store really well. I came home with 4 stainless 3/8x16 T Nuts, and this trick spanner wrench that had to be slightly modded for me by me. This is what the entire setup looked like.

The craptastic HD fender brackets

No matter what I tried, I couldnt get me to fit. I tried metal shrinking, c clamps, heat, cursing , throwing tools, and drinking beer.

Well, I woke up slightly late today, feeling kinda groggy and tried a new tactic.

Here is the new setup, after I ditched the crapola HD Inner fender brackets Pt# 60198-06.

Bolts are cut to 1.9 inch shank length here.

The required spanner wrench for the new T nuts.

The final result

Now, I could have bolted these on with the hardware that Garry provided, which would have been a 20 minute install. So dont get confused thinking that this is the normal procedure as it IS NOT. I chose to go this route because I wanted to used a wider 160 tire on the FXDX superglide sport. I figured I could use the room. I made this post so that anybody with the 05 or older superglides do not try and use the 60198-06 inner fender brackets, as they DID NOT work for me.

Last edited by parts eeter; 04-17-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:56 AM
Danofxdx
Road Captain

OK, well after much time has passed since I received these saddlebags from Gary I finally had some time to install these bags.

I ordered some HD Pt# 60198-06 brackets and waited a week for my dealer to receive them. Once I received them yesterday I decided to get to installing my new bags. I drilled the struts,strut covers, and fender holes to fit the new Pt# 60198-06 fender support brackets.

( I used these brackets so I did not have to have a bolt/nut protruding into the fender well which could possibly interfere with a wider 160 tire on my FXDX)

All was well with the world until I tightened down the new hardware only to discover the 60198-06 fender support brackets would bulge out into the fender well area. I tried everything to try and get them to fit. Heat/dolly/Shrinking/ etc..... They just refused to lay down properly.

So, now I have to figure something out. Well, luckily I have a great hardware shop close by with a girl there that knows her way around the store really well. I came home with 4 stainless 3/8x16 T Nuts, and this trick spanner wrench that had to be slightly modded for me by me. This is what the entire setup looked like.

The craptastic HD fender brackets

No matter what I tried, I couldnt get me to fit. I tried metal shrinking, c clamps, heat, cursing , throwing tools, and drinking beer.

Well, I woke up slightly late today, feeling kinda groggy and tried a new tactic.

Here is the new setup, after I ditched the crapola HD Inner fender brackets Pt# 60198-06.

Bolts are cut to 1.9 inch shank length here.

The required spanner wrench for the new T nuts.

The final result

Now, I could have bolted these on with the hardware that Garry provided, which would have been a 20 minute install. So dont get confused thinking that this is the normal procedure as it IS NOT. I chose to go this route because I wanted to used a wider 160 tire on the FXDX superglide sport. I figured I could use the room. I made this post so that anybody with the 05 or older superglides do not try and use the 60198-06 inner fender brackets, as they DID NOT work for me.
Thank You I have the stock T-Sport bags and went with a 160 rear, the bolts were installed from the inside with the nuts on the outside so rubbing there has not been an issue, I was checking out a 2012 superglide that a guy I know bought and was thinking about those HD brackets but I like the Nuts you got better was that an Ace hardware that you got those at? I could really clean up the look of my bike with those and some nice bolts

Old 04-18-2013, 10:31 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Danofxdx
Thank You I have the stock T-Sport bags and went with a 160 rear, the bolts were installed from the inside with the nuts on the outside so rubbing there has not been an issue, I was checking out a 2012 superglide that a guy I know bought and was thinking about those HD brackets but I like the Nuts you got better was that an Ace hardware that you got those at? I could really clean up the look of my bike with those and some nice bolts
I got the T Nuts at a Mom and Pops store. I used the HD 60198-06 brackets successfully on my 06 Street Bob to allow use of a 18x5.5 rim and 180 rear tire, but my current steed did not like them at all.

NOTE- The 06 and later fender struts are different than 05 and older Superglides.

Let me know if you cant find the T Nuts locally. The store I bought them from only had 2 T Nuts left and I bought the last wrench they had also, but maybe they will re stock them. If so, I can send you a set with a wrench.

How did you like that FXDXT fender I sent ya??

Which 160 rear tire did you go with on your bike? My roomie has a Avon venom 160 mounted on a laced 16x3 rear rim. It looks really big compared to the OEM 150 Dunlop I have. I havent been able to get an accurate measurement. I need some type of plastic calipers to use for measuring tires.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:25 AM
Danofxdx
Road Captain

I got the T Nuts at a Mom and Pops store. I used the HD 60198-06 brackets successfully on my 06 Street Bob to allow use of a 18x5.5 rim and 180 rear tire, but my current steed did not like them at all.

NOTE- The 06 and later fender struts are different than 05 and older Superglides.

Let me know if you cant find the T Nuts locally. The store I bought them from only had 2 T Nuts left and I bought the last wrench they had also, but maybe they will re stock them. If so, I can send you a set with a wrench.

How did you like that FXDXT fender I sent ya??

Which 160 rear tire did you go with on your bike? My roomie has a Avon venom 160 mounted on a laced 16x3 rear rim. It looks really big compared to the OEM 150 Dunlop I have. I havent been able to get an accurate measurement. I need some type of plastic calipers to use for measuring tires.
I will check my local Ace they have a fantastic selection
I just got the fender it really looks good thank you!
I put a Metzler ME880, it’s a little taller and fills the fender out nicely, Metzler does not offer the new 888 in a 160 as far as I can tell They used to have a tool on the website to see what tires would fit and if you could increase above the stock size but I can’t find it now

Last edited by Danofxdx; 04-19-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:09 PM
Blkbobber
Advanced

Im getting ready to order these bags. Any of you guys that have these bags think if I powder coated the docking studs that they would hold up?

Quick Reply: FXDXT Saddlebag rebuild