Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDXT Saddlebag rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 11:35 AM
tbone108
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello All
I noticed this product on the web.
Heatshields. www.thermalvelocity.co.uk
its just a product i am sure there are lots of similar things on the market.
tbone108

Old 11-05-2012, 11:51 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

theres also thermo tech adhesive backing that member Pha-Q mentioned to me this morning

Old 11-05-2012, 12:02 PM
fxdb10
Advanced

I wonder if their spray coating will work on ABS plastic. Spray it on, color matched, and heat resistant. Sounds like a winner.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:19 PM
macnab_sf
Road Master

Besides heat, other issue is physical contact. Does a heavily-loaded bag cause the bag to contact the pipe?

Old 11-05-2012, 03:39 PM
gnstalodz
Road Captain

I'm still waiting on my bags, darn bay area postal service

Old 11-05-2012, 03:46 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fxdxt-I
Heres my on a 2005 fxdxi
the bags look perfect on your bike...

Old 11-05-2012, 05:07 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LeatherPro
What do you guys think about replacing that ABS shield on that side with a piece of .080 aluminum?

Garry
That would probably work well and look nice too if it was powder coated black. If you were to do one side ( exhaust side) what do you think about doing both sides with Black Powder coated Aluminum?

Old 11-05-2012, 05:10 PM
LeatherPro
Former Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by macnab_sf
Besides heat, other issue is physical contact. Does a heavily-loaded bag cause the bag to contact the pipe?
It shouldn't. For the 2006 and newer bikes we have altered the mold to raise the bag 5/8" and move it a little forward. As you can see in the pic below, it is hardly noticeable that we changed it.

In this next pic, I put 2 fire extinguishers that weighed a total of 25 pounds in the bag and put a piece of 1 inch square tubing on top of my pipe.

You can see that there is still about an inch of clearance. Even with bouncing the bag, the plastic only flexed down about another 1/2 inch, and we don't recommend putting more than 25 lbs per side in the bags ( Harleys original FXDXT bags were only rated for 12 lbs per side).

The reason I put the 1 inch tubing on the pipe is because that is the typical difference between a 2006 and newer bike, and an older one. The next pic shows 12 inches from the top of the square tubing to the center of the strut.

Raising the bag a little and changing the bottom slightly gave us the space we were looking for and should eliminate any heat problems, but I have both of my plastic suppliers looking for a higher temp plastic for me that won't raise the price of the bag. In the mean time, I am going to hold off shipping any more bags to the guys with the newer bikes for a few days until I find a high temp solution I am happy with. You guys with older bikes are good to go though. The bags for the older bikes will be on the original molds that didn't raise the bag as there is plenty of space on the older bikes.

Garry

Last edited by LeatherPro; 11-05-2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 11-05-2012, 05:12 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LeatherPro
It shouldn't. For the 2006 and newer bikes we have altered the mold to raise the bag 5/8" and move it a little forward. As you can see in the pic below, it is hardly noticeable that we changed it.

In this next pic, I put 2 fire extinguishers that weighed a total of 25 pounds in the bag and put a piece of 1 inch square tubing on top of my pipe.

You can see that there is still about an inch of clearance. Even with bouncing the bag, the plastic only flexed down about another 1/2 inch, and we don't recommend putting more than 25 lbs per side in the bags ( Harleys original FXDXT bags were only rated for 12 lbs per side).

The reason I put the 1 inch tubing on the pipe is because that is the typical difference between a 2006 and newer bike, and an older one. The next pic shows 12 inches from the top of the square tubing to the center of the strut.

You guys with older bikes are good to go though.

Garry

Old 11-05-2012, 05:19 PM
LeatherPro
Former Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by parts eeter
That would probably work well and look nice too if it was powder coated black. If you were to do one side ( exhaust side) what do you think about doing both sides with Black Powder coated Aluminum?
I was actually thinking about covering the top and edges of the aluminum with leather, as it would provide a layer of insulation to protect the contents of the bag. Plus, we have never had a heat problem with leather as long as it doesn't actually touch the pipe. I will play around with it tomorrow.

Garry

Quick Reply: FXDXT Saddlebag rebuild