Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDXT Saddlebag rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 08:33 PM
LeatherPro
Former Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Parts Eeter, We will be making them in cordura first, we might make a leather version later, but right now we are going to concentrate on the retro look. As far as the handle being visible, you can't see it in this pic,

but if you were to look from the top down, you would be able to see the handle in between the bag and the fender.

Elwood, yes it will also fit the newer models, like our other bags, it should just be a change in the mounting bolts. I will also be test fitting them on my brother's 07 Wide Glide to make sure.

Bo Jangles, do you mean lockable to the bike or locking the zippers together? Our plans were to make the bags lockable to the bike, but I don't know how valuable locking zippers would be on a cordura bag that you could easily cut with a knife (unlike heavy leather that is plastic reinforced on our other bags). What do you guys think? As far as making the bag in a leather version, I'm sure we will be playing around with it, but we want to get the cordura version done first.

Keep ridin'
Garry

Old 08-26-2012, 08:40 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great so far! I want cordura bags.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:10 AM
Bo_Jangles
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I meant to the bike. I don't keep things in my bags that aren't worth loosing.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:05 AM
LeatherPro
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the feedback guys! Now I would appreciate a little more, I had an idea this morning to close the gap even more by adding another layer to the rear portion of the backside of the bag. The pic below shows how it would look in comparison to the stock bags. (You have to remember, this is just a rough plug mold that gives us the basic perimeter and back side of the bag, which will be a little wider.)

This pic shows how I added the extra layer, it also show how the handle is hidden when closed.

By doing this we add about 22 cubic inches per bag. The thing I am concerned about is how it looks from the rear. We couldn't add that last layer onto the top portion of the bag, so there is a slanted transition about where the turn signals are. Does this look OK? Or would the straight back that left more of a gap look better?

Garry

Old 08-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

I think your mold just keeps getting better and better.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:56 PM
PhotoRider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like closing the gap.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:00 PM
macnab_sf
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If filling the gap actually ends up giving the bag some useable space inside, then I'd fully support it. If it's just for looks (and raises costs) I'm on the fence. It does look nicer though.

Looking at the pic, the gap filler comes in back by wrapping additional space around the rear of the bracket. I am not sure what would fit in that curved space back there. I see how you can now claim additional storage, the added 22 cubes. Not sure what practical use that extra space serves, though. (socks? bananas? )

Will it raise the production cost of the bag any/much?

Edit: Forgot to add that those brackets are killer.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:35 PM
LeatherPro
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by macnab_sf
If filling the gap actually ends up giving the bag some useable space inside, then I'd fully support it. If it's just for looks (and raises costs) I'm on the fence. It does look nicer though.

Looking at the pic, the gap filler comes in back by wrapping additional space around the rear of the bracket. I am not sure what would fit in that curved space back there. I see how you can now claim additional storage, the added 22 cubes. Not sure what practical use that extra space serves, though. (socks? bananas? )

Will it raise the production cost of the bag any/much?

Edit: Forgot to add that those brackets are killer.
It won't add anything to the cost, and it is mainly cosmetic, but if you have hauled as many odd shaped things in your bags as I have, you appreciate any additional space, especially in the width.

I was hoping to have the left side mold done today, but we got busy with orders for our regular bags, I guess that's a good problem? Anyway, I will try to get it done tomorrow and get the first plastic back formed.

Later
Garry

Old 08-27-2012, 05:09 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say that it looks best with the gap filled in and the extra pair of socks,underwear, t shirt etc....they would fit would be a plus.

I think both designs look great but the filled in gap gets my vote.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:19 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i agree these are awesome!

Quick Reply: FXDXT Saddlebag rebuild