Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDXT Saddlebag rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:18 AM
LeatherPro
Former Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Update

We just didn't quite get the bags ready in time to ship out on Friday, so the first 6 pair are going out today with more to follow this week. The photo below shows the first six pair in the middle, with others in various stages of construction..

This next pic shows the new handle in open and closed positions.

The reason I changed the handle was because of the tight fit when using a wide passenger seat like on my bike. In the photo below, you can see the lever in the up position to put the bag on the bike, and how the flexible handle moves out of the way. With the old handle, I had to compress the foam on my seat to get the bag on.

I will be working on a video later today after we get the first batch shipped.

I would like to say a couple things about the retro bags on craigslist. First is, I'm sure that the bag itself is a quality bag, but I found out years ago that making the bag was the easy part. Finding a way to mount it that is quick detach, strong, doesn't rattle, and looks good is the hard part. I have read so many posts from guys who bought bags that were supposed to fit their bike and they ended up looking like this:

I'm not saying that the bags on craigslist will look like this, I'm just saying to be cautious and make sure you see pics of the bags your are buying mounted on a bike from various angles before you spend your money on something you will be disappointed in.

Back to work.
Garry

Old 10-29-2012, 09:22 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm looking forward to receiving my set Garry. I am excited to do a comparison between all three bags.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:19 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Payment sent....can't wait to get my set!

Garry,

any info on the bag material, can we use anything to keep the material from fading over time or any cleaner on the leather.

thanks chris

Last edited by 07bobber; 10-29-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:13 AM
LeatherPro
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bucket13
Hey Garry, haven't heard back from you yet.
Invoice sent to your email via paypal.

Garry

Old 10-29-2012, 12:04 PM
01FXDX
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't wait to get these on my bike. I hope to hear back soon.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:42 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,942 Likes on 4,140 Posts

Too cool leather pro. Do you have the ability to bring my stock 7" wide Deuce bags down to 4" wide. I have thought the best way would be to remove the leather from the plastic mounting plates but how would you handle the lid? Would also like to run them much lower hanging the top even with the fender braces. However need to keep the aft mounting position similar to stock position to keep hidden all the fender overhang of the Deuce. Just how close to the stock exhaust can I run the leather bag? Any thoughts?

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:43 PM
LeatherPro
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 07bobber
Payment sent....can't wait to get my set!

Garry,

any info on the bag material, can we use anything to keep the material from fading over time or any cleaner on the leather.

thanks chris
The description from the supplier for the cordura we used is "a water resistant fabric with excellent resistance to scuffing and pilling. It stands up to demanding use and has long-lasting colorfastness. Attractive, stylish and reliable. Suggested Uses: Bags and softsided luggage."

This is a 1080 denier fabric and was the best I could find. You can use any good leather conditioner on the lids, but we recommend Doc Bailey's Leather Black.

08 Roadglide- I don't know what to think about you and all your negative posts on my thread. I will just say this, I purchased an FXDXT this spring with the idea of making these bags, long before I ever heard of John Conely. I didn't copy his idea, we are just both good businessmen who saw a market and are going after it. As far as testing the bags, I have been making a living doing nothing except designing and making top quality motorcycle bags for the last 12 years, and I will let my reputation speak for itself. How long has John been making bags? Our warranty is on our website.

Garry

Old 10-29-2012, 01:22 PM
jslum
Tourer

Garry, waiting for an invoice from you. Trying to be patient, but really excited to get these.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:44 PM
fxdb10
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm John doesn't actually make bags... Just saying... Roadglide take your man crush back to Conley's thread. You've been stirring the pot and its getting irritating. I chose to spend my money with a reputable saddlebag company right here in the USA. Ichose to spend my money on a proven two point mounting system. I chose to spend my money on a bag that will hug my fender, not sag onto my exhaust, will lock, and is made by a forum sponsor. If you want Conley's bags go buy them. I myself am glad I got presented another option. People like you and your posts turn me off and I can almost guarantee as long as Conley has,people like you trolling where your not wanted I will never give him 1 cent of my hard earned money. I don't care how great his products are. **** off and have a nice day.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:35 PM
McGinnes_john
Tourer

This may be a weird thought, but it really seems like that 08roadglide guy might be an employee of Coneley's or the man himself. Either way, dude, the comments are not really helping sell Coneley's bags. I was seriously considering them until I started seeing those posts. More than one person can make the same item and the quality will speak for itself, trust me.

...Or the posts are an ingenious marketing campaign by Leatherpro's to show that the Coneley's fans are slightly poor spellers with little grasp on punctuation and sentence structure. In which case-Brilliant!

Quick Reply: FXDXT Saddlebag rebuild