Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDXT Saddlebag rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Chad1200
Road Master
Received 287 Likes on 177 Posts

I have a comment/question: The original FXDXT had 3 mounting posts for its bags - 2 on the fender struts and 1 at the back of the rear fender. The new bags that you and Conely are making now only use 2 mounting posts on the fender struts. Will this affect how sturdy the bags are on the bike as compared to the original design on the FXDXT? I ask because I had a set of hard bags mounted on my bike with Edge brackets which is a similar mounting system with 2 posts on the fender struts and the bags were not sturdy at all. They rattled like hell and the brackets never seemd to seat tightly on the mounting posts.

Your progress looks great. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Last edited by Chad1200; 09-24-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I can't wait for this either. I did not realize that they are only going to mount at 2 points. the FXR bags I am running now also mount at 3 points which makes them much sturdier. I was under the impression that these bags would also mount at 3 points?

Old 09-24-2012, 02:50 PM
LeatherPro
Former Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad1200
I have a comment/question: The original FXDXT had 3 mounting posts for its bags - 2 on the fender struts and 1 at the back of the rear fender. The new bags that you and Conely are making now only use 2 mounting posts on the fender struts. Will this affect how sturdy the bags are on the bike as compared to the original design on the FXDXT? I ask because I had a set of hard bags mounted on my bike with Edge brackets which is a similar mounting system with 2 posts on the fender struts and the bags were not sturdy at all. They rattled like hell and the brackets never seemd to seat tightly on the mounting posts.

Your progress looks great. Can't wait to see the finished product!
I don't know how Conely is going to mount his bags, in the pictures he had the same metal supports that the originals had MINUS the rear fender latch, which is the most important part of that setup.

I can tell you how we can do it with just two points. If the bracket is made and mounted solidly, then it is just like bolting on a set of U shaped saddlebag supports. You have never heard of them not being strong enough or rattling have you? The problem arises when you try to make them detachable. Most other two point detachable systems have some type of grooved docking points that the bracket slides onto, and then a latch to keep it from sliding off. The clearances required for you to be able to slide it on are what causes the rattling. We got our first patent on a solid mounted detachable saddlebag over 6 years ago, and have sold thousands of bags with this two point system since then. It uses two levers that are inside the bag that rotate the cam mechanism inside the bracket, and when you tighten down the levers, it is just like bolting on supports. Our newest system (patent pending since February) is actually stronger and uses one lever with an over center action, similar to a vice grip, to tighten the bracket onto the docking points. I put over 3000 miles on my old Sportster with this system and had no problems, or rattles.

As far as the bags not being "sturdy" that is just in how the bracket is designed. If you are just going to use a flat piece of thin metal, then yes it will flex quite a bit. That is why we use compound bends. Have you seen the picture of the guy standing on the saddlebags on the home page of our website?

Hope this helps.
Garry,

PS I just got started sewing the lid pieces together with my zig zag machine, and I broke a needle. I was supposed to get extra needles when I bought the machine, but I didn't. I hope the local sewing store has some.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Chad1200
Road Master
Received 287 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by LeatherPro
I can tell you how we can do it with just two points. If the bracket is made and mounted solidly, then it is just like bolting on a set of U shaped saddlebag supports. You have never heard of them not being strong enough or rattling have you? The problem arises when you try to make them detachable. Most other two point detachable systems have some type of grooved docking points that the bracket slides onto, and then a latch to keep it from sliding off. The clearances required for you to be able to slide it on are what causes the rattling. We got our first patent on a solid mounted detachable saddlebag over 6 years ago, and have sold thousands of bags with this two point system since then. It uses two levers that are inside the bag that rotate the cam mechanism inside the bracket, and when you tighten down the levers, it is just like bolting on supports. Our newest system (patent pending since February) is actually stronger and uses one lever with an over center action, similar to a vice grip, to tighten the bracket onto the docking points. I put over 3000 miles on my old Sportster with this system and had no problems, or rattles.

As far as the bags not being "sturdy" that is just in how the bracket is designed. If you are just going to use a flat piece of thin metal, then yes it will flex quite a bit. That is why we use compound bends. Have you seen the picture of the guy standing on the saddlebags on the home page of our website?
Thanks, Garry. That makes perfect sense. I'm looking forward to seeing the final result.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:14 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you look closely at Johns video his bike has some crappy piece of metal hanging off the rear of the strut in what looks to be an attempt to keep his bags from rattling. Looks kinda poorly designed in my opinion. not to mention they can fly off on the interstate when unloaded or be stolen in 2 minutes makes me wonder what he was thinking.

I have both style rear fenders, one with the rear mount and one without. Personally I want a set of bags that DO NOT require any additional mounting points other than the 2 on the strut itself. I am glad LeatherPro is NOT gonna use the rear fender clip because I do not want any additional hardware visible when I am riding without the bags.

The fact that Garry is keeping us informed and just confirmed that his bags will NOT rattle along with all of the other well thought out features is gonna make these bags a hot seller.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:39 PM
LeatherPro
Former Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Well the local sewing machine shop had needles for my zig zag machine so we got a little sewing done today.

Got the first 5 pair of lids sewn, now to attach the snaps. I haven't set snaps in years, but I know I have a snap setter around here someplace. Hope to find it before tomorrow.

Garry

Old 09-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Psi23
Banned
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't wait to see the finished bags!

Old 09-25-2012, 06:02 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Garry PM me I want one of the first sets when available

Last edited by 07bobber; 09-25-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:17 PM
gnstalodz
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07bobber
Garry PM me I want one if the first sets when available
I might be willing to make a small pawn payment for these. Want to see the fabric first.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:47 AM

I will definitely go for the pre-order when it's time

Quick Reply: FXDXT Saddlebag rebuild