Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone want to rent me their PC-V auto tune?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 12:33 PM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by izzyryder
Correct.

The auto tune is an add on module that connects to your PC-V and has wide band O2 sensors included with it.

You'd basically be borrowing the unit and sensors.
This is my understanding of this device also. So, even if you could barrow one. Your tune would be usless when you returned the device.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:37 PM
izzyryder
Road Warrior
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by FXDWG12
This is my understanding of this device also. So, even if you could barrow one. Your tune would be useless when you returned the device.

Ok guys..to clarify...

When you add the autotune onto the pc-v, it does not tune the ECM. All it does is take your existing PC-V map, and as you ride it develops trim values. You then go into the PC-V map and accept these changes.

You do this 3 or 4 times until there are pretty much no changes left to be made.

It does not have to stay on the bike, and it does not do anything after it's done it's thing. You can leave it on the bike, sure, but it doesn't actually adjust the AFR in real time for you, it just tells you what to adjust the map to.

This is the use in which I am talking about and why this idea makes sense.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:39 PM
izzyryder
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mud
don't think so.

that tuner does its tuning while it is connected.
The unit simply observes, trims, and tells you what changes you make. You do this 3 or 4 times then your are done. It does not make real time AFR changes to your map. it simply tells you what to change.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:41 PM
izzyryder
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by nevil
From what I understand, the PCV does not make changes in the ECM, unlike some other kinds of tuners. It stores the map and any changes it makes from the auto tune in its module. So you can spend the time (if you can find someone who will lend it to you) to install it and the O2 sensors, and as soon as you return it to its owner you're back where you started. Needing to buy a tuner.
If I'm wrong someone will tell me soon enough.
So long as you have and keep your PC-V the map you saved (using the borrowed auto tune module) is there and will work absolutely fine. You don't need to keep the autotune hooked up once you've used it all you can.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:45 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,109 Likes on 2,119 Posts

The unit simply observes, trims, and tells you what changes you make. You do this 3 or 4 times then your are done. It does not make real time AFR changes to your map. it simply tells you what to change.
could be wrong, butt,

I do believe you're barking up the wrong tree.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Vinsil
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To quote Jamie from fuel moto:

"The Auto tune module is universal for these models and can be swapped bike to bike as long as the bike has a PC-V. Tune your bike, tune your buddies bike or tune 100 bikes. "

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ne-info-2.html

Post #11.

I like this idea a bit (although hate borrowing anything) since I have a PC-V and would love to use someones auto tune to fine tune my map...I was just going to sell my PC-V and buy the powervision as I didn't want to drop another $250 for the auto tune module....so the OP is on to something for sure. I just don't see anyone wanting to rent it out.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:12 PM
izzyryder
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Vinsil
To quote Jamie from fuel moto:

"The Auto tune module is universal for these models and can be swapped bike to bike as long as the bike has a PC-V. Tune your bike, tune your buddies bike or tune 100 bikes. "

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ne-info-2.html

Post #11.

I like this idea a bit (although hate borrowing anything) since I have a PC-V and would love to use someones auto tune to fine tune my map...I was just going to sell my PC-V and buy the powervision as I didn't want to drop another $250 for the auto tune module....so the OP is on to something for sure. I just don't see anyone wanting to rent it out.
Surely..someone..anyone?

$50?

Old 07-30-2012, 01:19 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

You could find a used one, do your thing and turn around and sell it and it would probably cost $50 or less when you're all said and done. Or maybe put an add on Craigslist looking to rent or have someone do the tune with/for you. Just a couple ideas.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Ratbob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't the Wideband O2 sensors needed by Autotune need a different size bung? Seems like this would required mods to your pipes, then plugs when you're done. I think that if I were to go to the trouble of modifying my pipes, I'd prefer to hold on the the Autotune module for future engine changes.

As for Autotune with PV, out of the box the PV unit only does basic tuning with the stock narrowband sensors. Basic tuning covers about 2/3 of your VE tables. PV also accepts input from an Autotune module allowing you to accurately populate your entire VE table.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:40 PM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok guys..to clarify...

When you add the autotune onto the pc-v, it does not tune the ECM. All it does is take your existing PC-V map, and as you ride it develops trim values. You then go into the PC-V map and accept these changes.

You do this 3 or 4 times until there are pretty much no changes left to be made.

It does not have to stay on the bike, and it does not do anything after it's done it's thing. You can leave it on the bike, sure, but it doesn't actually adjust the AFR in real time for you, it just tells you what to adjust the map to.

This is the use in which I am talking about and why this idea makes sense.
OK, I am new to this. But could we please clairify:
The PC-V auto tune uses wide band o2 sensors?
The OE ECM "only" uses narrow band o2 sensors.
So, when you remove the PC-V auto tune, you have to replace the o2 sensors. Correct?

Quick Reply: Anyone want to rent me their PC-V auto tune?