Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Triple tree removal ? and Fork question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 10:13 PM
speed8988
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Triple tree removal ? and Fork question

I hate to ask but all 3 dealers don't have a service manual for 07 Dyna. I have a Bob.
How do you remove the tree? I started to use a plastic mallet and hit it from the bottom of the top tree. There seems to be a cap where there's usually a nut ( see pic). I'm assume that is part of the tree. I removed the Snap Ring from under the lower tree. Am I doing this right. It seems like it's starting to come aprt but I didn't want to go overbaord if I'm doing it wring. Also I need to remove the lower fork to powder coat does anyone know the size of the allen (see pic)

I assuming I hold the nut up top and loosen the allen and it will come apart and the oil will drain. Is this right?

Old 01-17-2007, 10:25 PM
XXXRacing
Road Warrior
Default RE: Triple tree removal ? and Fork question

You have to hit the allen with a impact gun, or else they will spin. The nut up top will do nothing for you. To get the triple trees off completely, you have to unscrew that cover you pointed to and there is a not under there. Remove that and the top tree will come off. Then there is another nut (the fall away adjustment) that you will remove to get the bottom triple tree off. Just did this on my buddy's 06. The allen key is a 12 MM I believe.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:26 PM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa ---
Forget about the snap ring - does nothing near as I can tell - maybe an extreme safety precaution. The T-stem is pressed into the lower triple tree, only thing you can accomplish from smashing up on the lower tree is bearing damage.

I dont' have a Bob , but that cap either twists off or prys off. Underneath you will find a bolt that, once removed, will allow the trees to separate, the stem will stay with the lower tree.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:48 PM
speed8988
Cruiser

Sweet it twisted off. I tried that this morning but no luck the gas and oil on my hand didn't help. That a big nut. Do you know the size so I can get a socket for it and impact it off My adjustable doesn' open that big. This board rocks.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:00 PM
glide05
Road Warrior

It aint that tight, impact not needed.
Forget what I used - crappy adjustable I think.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:16 PM
CycleDrider
Road Master

ORIGINAL: speed8988

Sweet it twisted off. I tried that this morning but no luck the gas and oil on my hand didn't help. That a big nut. Do you know the size so I can get a socket for it and impact it off My adjustable doesn' open that big. This board rocks.
Mine was 1"1/2 on an 05 wideglide.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:55 PM
Bug_Guy
Banned

You really ought to buy a Service Manual!! That's the first thing anybody should buy before they start buying chrome and paying the stealership to do hard stuff like adjusting mirrors or putting air in tires

Old 01-18-2007, 12:11 PM
speed8988
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Bug_Guy

You really ought to buy a Service Manual!! That's the first thing anybody should buy before they start buying chrome and paying the stealership to do hard stuff like adjusting mirrors or putting air in tires
Did you read my post. I've been tryingto buy a manual and they are sold out at all 3 dealers and on the internet sources they are backordered. I have a 07 so everyone is buying them up. I always try to do searches before posting to see if the topic was talked about. But thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Bug_Guy
Banned

Yeah, I read your post! And if you can't do the simple things you're trying to do, you ought to buy a Service Manual, even if it takes you a year to get one....before you tear up your bike trying to do the things you're trying to do!

The '07 triple trees come apart just like the earlier models, even though the fork tubes themselves aren't the same diameter.

You don't have to remove the big bolts on top of the fork tubes to take off the lower legs.

The fork sliders are held on with a 6mm or 8mm allen bolt (I think - I'm not standing at my toolbox right now). You'll need an impact wrench or the entire assembly will spin. You need to remove the retaining ring in the top of the slider and then yank the whole thing off.

When you reassemble, you'll need to set the fall-away on the triple trees and replace the oil seals in the forks, as well as replace the fluid.

Try J&P Cycles for the 2007 Service Manual.

ORIGINAL: speed8988

ORIGINAL: Bug_Guy

Did you read my post. I've been tryingto buy a manual and they are sold out at all 3 dealers and on the internet sources they are backordered. I have a 07 so everyone is buying them up. I always try to do searches before posting to see if the topic was talked about. But thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:57 PM
badherb
Road Captain

[sm=bicker.gif]

Quick Reply: Triple tree removal ? and Fork question