Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling Wires through Apes

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 09:21 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Pulling Wires through Apes

So I was working on installing my new apes today (14" El Diablos) and everything was going great till it came to pulling the wires through. For a while I was having a very tough time, trying all sorts of things. Finally, I decided to use a piece of shrink tubing (or whatever its called) to cover up the exposed wires and pin connectors and used a piece of safety wire to keep the wire sheath from sliding too much, it actually worked! I thought all my problems were over.........But now, for the life of me I cannot get the wires through on the other side.

Any of you all with apes that have sharp bends have any suggestions? I plan on tackling it again tomorrow, and am keeping my fingers crossed that it will go better than today.

Thanks!

Old 07-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Dirknar
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pull a string through the opposite way first with a vacuum then, tie the string to the wires, then wrap electrical tape around string and wire ends, then grease up the outside of the plastic sleeve and pull them through..

Old 07-27-2012, 09:44 PM
ChopperPop
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used weedeater string and some really good tape, taped the ends of the wires so nothing would snag. Left side I did one wire at a time because of some terrible splicing by the first installer. Right side I did them all at one go.

It was still a pain but well worth the effort. (This was with tbars)

Old 07-27-2012, 09:50 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What I did to get a leader through was use twine with a nut tied to the end, dropped it in and sucked it out with a vacuum from the bottom. The problem I am having is after I get the leader through, I tie the other end to the wires, it feeds through fine till I get to the bottom 90 degree bend. I did not try using electrical tape (which is probably the same effect of using shrink tube), or greasing the sheath which I will definitley give a try tomorrow, I suspect that is what is bunching up and why I am having so much trouble on that last bend. Thanks guys, and keep the suggestions coming!!!

Old 07-27-2012, 10:16 PM
PMB3
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grease it up and it will pull right through.I just put some Todd's Cycles Strip Apes on and that did the trick.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Ironman 883
Cruiser

I use compressed air when I wire tuck. If you don't have a compressor just used canned air. Basically take decent string and blow the compressed air in the bar, it will shoot out the hole. Cover any holes you don't want it to come out of. Then tie your wire to the string, grease them up a little and slide-um through

Old 07-27-2012, 10:36 PM
lieutenant G
Cruiser

Dog tags chain has been by best method so far

Old 07-27-2012, 10:45 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I used ceiling fan chain. You have to push and pull at the same time so you don't bind up and peel away the outer jackets of the wires. Just wiggle back and forth and I'm sure you know slow is fast Chief!!