Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk in front forks

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 04:52 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I just went to heavier fork oil in the Road King; from "Type-E" to Spectro 10W...took alot of the squish out'a the front end. May be time for new bushings & seals...good deals on ebay for kits.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:31 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Never liked the feel of my stock forks either, hard to describe other than squirrelly and unsteady when hitting bumps especially during turns. Dropped some intiminators in and they perform much better, not a carpet ride but much more predictable and solid.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:04 PM
Eagle_1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to check out this thread.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...earings-3.html

My bike was clunking in the front when I crossed rail road tracks or hit small pot holes. I put a new washer on mine today torqued the steering head nut to 80 ft lbs. No more clunking sound. I also checked the fall away and came to the conclusion that this a bs test IMO.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:46 AM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

I had a buddy rock it back and forth to simulate the clunk. While he was doing this, I had my hands on the lowers. I could feel the clunk in the lowers. The steering was not moving, nor does it move when in the air. After replacing the wheel bearings, the front shimmy when cornering has dis appeared. It now is smooth when cornering and in a straight line.
I do believe a heavier shock oil will help. I have 2 bottles of Ams Shock Therapy ready to go as soon as snow hits the ground.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:02 AM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

in my 2007 dyna I changed the fork oil to 20 weight oil , I filled them up using the correct volume off oil ,,, measurement in a jar,,, Still a clunk, I then got a fork oil gauge/syringe and refilled the legs till the correct height from the top,, GUESs what forks work great NO clunk no more

Old 08-29-2013, 01:14 AM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by loopie
in my 2007 dyna I changed the fork oil to 20 weight oil , I filled them up using the correct volume off oil ,,, measurement in a jar,,, Still a clunk, I then got a fork oil gauge/syringe and refilled the legs till the correct height from the top,, GUESs what forks work great NO clunk no more

The other way to achieve correct amount of oil is a measurement from the top. I made my own dipstick using a zip tie. I checked the level when I put in the Progressives and it was where it was supposed to be, but I think a heavier oil will make a difference.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:49 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a clunk that developed a few months after I installed progressive springs. Adjusted the fall away and all is good. The progressive springs will displace more oil than the stockers, maybe its over filled? I assume you measured the oil level from the top of the tube? How much sag did you cut the spacers for

Old 08-29-2013, 09:21 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by ynots
I had a clunk that developed a few months after I installed progressive springs. Adjusted the fall away and all is good. The progressive springs will displace more oil than the stockers, maybe its over filled? I assume you measured the oil level from the top of the tube? How much sag did you cut the spacers for
Sag was set to 1 1/2"

It has been like this for quite a while now. If there was too much oil, the seals would have been leaking by now. No leaks, front is not stiff.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:09 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 848 Likes on 456 Posts

Maybe add a spacer on top of the springs.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:37 AM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Maybe add a spacer on top of the springs.

IIRC, you use the stock washer under the spacer.

Quick Reply: Clunk in front forks