Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob detachable Batwing Fairing

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 04:52 PM
Jsphs
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everybody,

I installed the batwing on my Fatbob and as others have posted I also have been experiencing some head buffeting caused by the up-flow of air coming from under the batwing. Its caused by the air hitting the tank and bouncing up.
I completely resolved it by installing a 2" tanklift that I made from some scrap metal.
I'm running a 5" windshield at the moment which is to short for me and is still causing a little buffeting as the wind hits the top of my helmet. I'm also thinking about installing the 9" spoiler, just not to sure if I want that tall a windshield....

Old 05-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Strobe
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I really didn't want to go with the 9" either. I don't like the way they look.

I'm running the 6.5 spoiler. I made a change so the top adjustment is all the way forward and the bottom is all the way back for the batwing.That stopped the pulsating wind on the top of my head. I also run the wind deflectors. I'm happy with the way it is now. Very enjoyable riding. I get some wind coming at my face but it's fine. I can put my hand up in the air and feel where the stream is going over my head. Cruising at 80 is fine !

I have no reason to try the 9 inch now. Half tempted to try the 5' spoiler.

And yes wind still comes up along side the tank. Air cleaner cuts down on one side. No big deal for me. I'll probable mess with it more. Time to ride....

Old 05-05-2013, 06:47 PM
Strobe
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyhow play with the angle. It does make a difference. I noticed when I changed the angle I also moved the brackets up about 1/2 to keep the headlight positioned in the batwing correctly.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:53 PM
sacu
6th Gear

My bottom is all the way in and I was running the all the way out, recently I moved the top in about 1/2 way. Didn't really change anything. As odd as it may seem my worse buffeting is around 60. I put the bottom deflectors on and they do help but having the fwd control don't. The air runs right up my legs. I got caught in the rain the other day and the mist was getting in my helmet shield from the bottom. If I bent my knees like I had mid controls the buffet almost went away.

I still have a ton of visibility over the 9" shield so I don't think a smaller rider would have any trouble using one but I will admit the 6" looks a lot better.

If you search these forums even the big boys with EG's and RG's have the same problem with buffeting we just don't know about it because we've never looked. I've even seen a Goldwing guy complain about it.

I've never wanted a shield or bat wing but now I love this stupid thing even with all the hassle it has caused. Maybe I'm just getting old, but a SG or a RG Custom has been looking very tempting. If I didn't put a stage 4 in this winter it might be a done deal already.

I'm still using a full face helmet but I'll pick up a 1/2 helmet this weekend and try that. If for no other reason it would be good to stuff in the saddle bag plus when it gets over 80 degrees a full face and bat wing is just too hot for me.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:58 AM
sacu
6th Gear

I've been ride with no shield on at all for the last week. No buffeting but the dirty air is hitting my at chin level. Which I don't mind so I'm going smaller. Tried to cut my down to 3". Grabbed the 6" spoiler, taped it off and cut on the wrong side on the tape, stupid me, in the trash it goes. Then the 9" spoiler, taped it off and the shield snapped in half 1/4 through the cut, I'm an idiot. So I order a straight 5" to try.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:36 AM
sacu
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Jsphs
Hello everybody,

I installed the batwing on my Fatbob and as others have posted I also have been experiencing some head buffeting caused by the up-flow of air coming from under the batwing. Its caused by the air hitting the tank and bouncing up.
I completely resolved it by installing a 2" tanklift that I made from some scrap metal.
I'm running a 5" windshield at the moment which is to short for me and is still causing a little buffeting as the wind hits the top of my helmet. I'm also thinking about installing the 9" spoiler, just not to sure if I want that tall a windshield....
I'd like to see a pic with the 2" tank lift, this is not the first time I've heard of this for buffeting. How bad does this throw off your gas gauge? Do you loss any mileage between fill ups?

Also put the straight 5" on, it has a lot more bend in it then the spoilers. I would say the whole shield has the same bend as the top section of the spoiler and it sits a little more fwd so it can easily be put in front of the mirrors. You can put this shield almost vertical.

With the 5" the wind hits me right at eye brow level and the buffeting is similar as the 9" spoiler. Not sure what to do next, look into a tank lift, try a straight 7", or try to cut down (not break) another shield. I really need to invest in some more lottery tickets to fund this.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:03 PM
tconnell21
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just installed my fairing
Name:  image_zpsc6c61c94.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  96.0 KB" border="0" class="tcattdimglink" alt="" />
Name:  image_zps744952c4.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  90.8 KB" border="0" class="tcattdimglink" alt="" />

Old 08-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Jsphs
Stage III

Originally Posted by sacu
I'd like to see a pic with the 2" tank lift, this is not the first time I've heard of this for buffeting. How bad does this throw off your gas gauge? Do you loss any mileage between fill ups?

Also put the straight 5" on, it has a lot more bend in it then the spoilers. I would say the whole shield has the same bend as the top section of the spoiler and it sits a little more fwd so it can easily be put in front of the mirrors. You can put this shield almost vertical.

With the 5" the wind hits me right at eye brow level and the buffeting is similar as the 9" spoiler. Not sure what to do next, look into a tank lift, try a straight 7", or try to cut down (not break) another shield. I really need to invest in some more lottery tickets to fund this.
The fuel light comes on a little sooner, I run until the countdown changes to "Lo" then visit the next gas station. I usually have about a gallon left when I gas up. Not sure how much mileage I lose between fill ups. All I can say is I just got back from a 6000+mi trip and was never left stranded
btw I did install the 9" shield and all problems were gone for me. At times I did a consistent 90 MH and was comfy all the way.
At home I take off the batwing and run with a modified national cycles fly screen or nothing at all.
I have pics but not sure how to post them "~"

Old 08-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Jsphs
Stage III

Fat Bob detachable Batwing Fairing-photo-1.jpg

Fat Bob detachable Batwing Fairing-photo-2.jpg

Fat Bob detachable Batwing Fairing-photo-3.jpg

Here are the pics. More options from my laptop

Last edited by Jsphs; 08-20-2013 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Tried to post pics didn't work
Old 09-16-2013, 09:22 PM
tohi
Cruiser

Looks great.

Quick Reply: Fat Bob detachable Batwing Fairing