Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob detachable Batwing Fairing

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 11:36 AM
sacu
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok got the 9" spoiler and installed it. I didn't mess around too much it was 40 degrees out with 20 mph winds so after a few adjustments the buffeting is manageable. I don't feel that any of it is from the wind hitting the helmet off the shield anymore. At 60 it's bearly noticeable and the airflow is an inch or two over my helmet. When I get up to 70 it just hits the top of my helmet and stays there up to 80 (only have 100 miles on my build so I stopped at 80). I do have a lot of air coming from under the bat wing/tank hitting my legs and flowing right up the front of my now at speeds over 60. I can reach out and feel it and and think the wind deflectors will clear this up, at least there cheaper then another shield. Overall I pretty happy with the batwing and the 9" spoiler, I picked the black shield but in hind sight the solar would be a lot easier to see through if I had to hide from the rain.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:40 AM
sacu
6th Gear

Here's a pic with the 9" spoiler.

Attached Thumbnails Fat Bob detachable Batwing Fairing-fat-bob.jpg  
Old 04-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Rainmakr
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sacu
Ok got the 9" spoiler and installed it. I didn't mess around too much it was 40 degrees out with 20 mph winds so after a few adjustments the buffeting is manageable. I don't feel that any of it is from the wind hitting the helmet off the shield anymore. At 60 it's bearly noticeable and the airflow is an inch or two over my helmet. When I get up to 70 it just hits the top of my helmet and stays there up to 80 (only have 100 miles on my build so I stopped at 80). I do have a lot of air coming from under the bat wing/tank hitting my legs and flowing right up the front of my now at speeds over 60. I can reach out and feel it and and think the wind deflectors will clear this up, at least there cheaper then another shield. Overall I pretty happy with the batwing and the 9" spoiler, I picked the black shield but in hind sight the solar would be a lot easier to see through if I had to hide from the rain.
I installed the wind deflectors and it help. I would recommend getting a set. I run the 5" shield. I like the sportier look. Ive been debating on whether or not to get the 6.5" spoiler shield. I think it would push more of the airflow over my head. I only get a small amount of buffering now.

Originally Posted by sacu
Here's a pic with the 9" spoiler.

Batwing looks great! Did you paint the inner as well?

Old 04-15-2013, 12:21 PM
sacu
6th Gear

Just took some Flat Black to the inner. I prefer the sportier look myself! Going with the Batwing was for trips and cold weather riding. I'll run the bike to work as long as it's over 40 degrees when I leave the house. I'll be ordering the the wind deflectors next week, thanks for the input. The more I play with this stuff the more I think a Street Glide is in my future.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:32 PM
Strobe
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

sacu, good info. I've been waiting to see what you thought of the 9" spoiler. I run the 6.5" and it's great to ~55mph. The buffeting starts in about then. At 80 it's pounding the top of my head pretty good. I'll have to give the 9" a try. If it ever quits snowing...

The wind deflectors do help a lot.

I usually tuck a spare hoody over the top of my headlights to keep wind from coming thru there. I think it as a noise suppressor also. Keeps noises from bouncing off the inner fairing some.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:35 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been eyeing these and other batwing fairings for the last couple of years. The thing I'm most disappointed with is that not too many people seem to to be able to totally get rid of the buffeting. I'd love to have one to use on certain trips but with all the buffeting issues, I'm very skeptical/hesitant to take the plunge...

Old 04-17-2013, 09:02 AM
MacH
6th Gear

@ Sacu,
thanks for the info, the fairing looks good on your bike.
Mac

Old 04-17-2013, 10:10 AM
Puffdaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EricInNCa
I've been eyeing these and other batwing fairings for the last couple of years. The thing I'm most disappointed with is that not too many people seem to to be able to totally get rid of the buffeting. I'd love to have one to use on certain trips but with all the buffeting issues, I'm very skeptical/hesitant to take the plunge...

I bet the 9" Spoiler windscreen would make a big improvement, if not eliminate, the buffeting, but it takes too much awaay from the original style of the fairing (IMHO). The shorter screens looks kickass!
That still doesn't address the issue of air under either....
Thanks for all the very helpful input, but I'll hold off for now as well

Old 04-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Strobe
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When you read the reviews at various online parts stores. More often then not people complain that even the 9" screen you still get buffeting. Most are over 6" tall. Adjusting the tilt of the fairing has produced better results to get rid of buffeting.

This year I plan to do more experimentation with adjustment.

Did'nt do much last year with adjustment. Just having too much fun riding ! The buffeting really did'nt bother me that much. But every time I took off the fairing it was right back on the bike again. I much prefer the fairing. That's just my personal preference.

I've read if you put the 12" on it eliminates the buffeting. Um...I don't think I'd like the looks at all.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:37 AM
TKD JD
Intermediate
Default any updates with 9" and deflectors

hey all,
I noticed that several of you said you were going to the 9" and were waiting on it. If you put the 9"spoiler vs. the 6.5" spoiler (both with deflectors on bottom), how much of a a difference did it make?

I'm 5'10". I have the sundowner on, but considering sending it to MCC to lower an inch and make more narrow etc (or may just switch seats). Also, I dropped my back end down an inch already with my suspension.

I currently have the HD detachable windshield and HATE it. I've mounted it in every conceivable position and the buffeting gives me a crazy headache and if I'm wearing a half helmet feels like it's trying to rip the helmet off my head.

Anyway, I'm about to order the batwing and just don't know if I need to get the 9" or the 6.5" spoiler....I like the look of the 6.5 better I think....but I would go to the 9 if it makes a big difference because I want to start going on longer rides this year.

thanks for any feedback!!

Quick Reply: Fat Bob detachable Batwing Fairing