Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird noises

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 07:32 AM
Rodney54
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird noises

So I have some werid noises "which maybe normal" I'm a first time harley owner so I'm not sure if this is just sounds the motor makes or not. Well anyway it sounds like a lite knock kind of a strange noise seems to be coming from the left side of the motor. I have the SE heavy breather, V&H 2-2 pipes. I rode about 800-1000 miles with that set up before I added the XIED I cant remember if it was making the noise from the start of owning it or not. I hope I didnt lean the motor too much and mess something up. I just installed the XIED yesterday Sound I change the plugs out since they are whitish? Anyone have any idea's?

*EDIT* The bike is a 2012 WG.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:55 AM
arejay86
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first off... ditch the xied n get a tuner... all the xied does is trick the computer into thinking the bike is to lean and thus the computer compensates by adding more fuel... your set up is pretty common, so i would gather most of the tuner mfg's have map for that set up

Old 07-15-2012, 04:16 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Does the noise sound like ticking like a sewing machine by chance? Cause ya that is normal! It's your lifters.

Plugs are very hard to read these days. However you said whiteish, if the angled part covering the electrode is off white but the base of the plug facing the cumbustion chamber is still dark you r probably in great shape., that is the way HD sets up the bikes under threat of law.
Your O2 sensors will be able to detect your afr and map and correct it after a few runs, and it is very unlikely you have damaged your motor. Run those xied's for a couple weeks and check your plugs every day (just to be safe), you should see them come back to a little darker shade.
You could get a brass brush and just clean the plugs and they will be fine since they are new.

Here is NGK's guide for reading plugs;

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_su...qs/faqread.asp