Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive 430 11" on a Wide Glide

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 10:46 AM
retxpres
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Progressive 430 11" on a Wide Glide

Thinking of changing my stock shocks to the Progressive 430 11" shocks, standard duty. I weigh 175lbs and never ride 2up. Does anyone here have thîs set up on there Wide Glide? Do you think I would have any clearance issues. I am also running the HD led fender edge tail light. If you have any info please let me know...

Old 08-26-2013, 04:45 PM
CHEE-Z
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey there sorry to bring this back from the dead, been searching the forums for something like this but kind of like a needle in a haystack after pouring through pages of threads just thought id try asking here..

This is the exact set up I was looking at, and youre the same specs as me. I'm 175 on a 2013 wide glide, would love to lower it an atleast an 1" just for looks mainly.. looks like you went this route so how is it working out?? any bottoming out issues.. is the ride really stiff? Had stock 11" on my 48 and they took some getting used to to say the least. Also if you got any pics of the rear thatd be sweet Would you recommend this over say lowering blocks, or would the lower blocks with longer shock travel be better you think? Thanks in advance!

Old 08-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by CHEE-Z
hey there sorry to bring this back from the dead, been searching the forums for something like this but kind of like a needle in a haystack after pouring through pages of threads just thought id try asking here..

This is the exact set up I was looking at, and youre the same specs as me. I'm 175 on a 2013 wide glide, would love to lower it an atleast an 1" just for looks mainly.. looks like you went this route so how is it working out?? any bottoming out issues.. is the ride really stiff? Had stock 11" on my 48 and they took some getting used to to say the least. Also if you got any pics of the rear thatd be sweet Would you recommend this over say lowering blocks, or would the lower blocks with longer shock travel be better you think? Thanks in advance!
I am running 10.5 Burly slammers with the fender edge light. No bottoming at all and it rides better than stock. I weigh between 160-175 depending on time of year...

Old 08-26-2013, 05:29 PM
retxpres
Road Captain
Smile

Here is my review...
I have now had these shocks on my bike for a year.

Positive...
I really like the look of the shocks on my bike and like the way the fender now covers the tire. These shocks give the bike a little more attitude. Since I have lowered the bike I think it handles much better in the twistys. I feel like I am more in the bike than on it.

Negative...
Bike rides harder. I also had my fluid changed on the front end to heavy duty. The mechanic recommended this when I had the front end powder coated. At low speed you feel every nook and cranny in the road. At high speed the bike is very stable and feels good. I always keep an eye out for bumps. Kick stand needed an adjustment to compensate. The bike always stood to straight up for me...

Overall I am happy with the bike as is. It never bottoms out and I never ride two up. I always have my Heritage Springer for longer rides. Hope this helps...

Attached Thumbnails Progressive 430 11" on a Wide Glide-image.jpg  

Last edited by retxpres; 08-26-2013 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Photo added
Old 08-27-2013, 12:22 AM
CHEE-Z
Cruiser

cool man, yeah about what i expected, curious did you lower the front too or just the rear? I was just going to do the rear. when you say you feel every nook an cranny are you saying thats cus of the thicker fork oil or the shocks.. or both lol.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:32 AM
retxpres
Road Captain

Originally Posted by CHEE-Z
cool man, yeah about what i expected, curious did you lower the front too or just the rear? I was just going to do the rear. when you say you feel every nook an cranny are you saying thats cus of the thicker fork oil or the shocks.. or both lol.
The front end is stock. Just running Heavy Duty oil in tubes. I think this has add to the harder ride. Curious to see your review if you only do the rear shocks with factory oil up front. Let me know how it goes. Maybe I could soften it up by just changing the front oil...

Attached Thumbnails Progressive 430 11" on a Wide Glide-image.jpg  
Old 08-27-2013, 09:00 AM
CHEE-Z
Cruiser

Yeah il def come back and add my opinion for anyone else thinkin bout this.. By Heavy duty oil does that mean a thicker viscosity? I have some amsoil shock therapy light #5 il probably throw in my forks when I get a chance, think one qt will be enough? I know it would have been for the sporty but this thing got some long tubes. Idk I'm stil wondering about if the ride would be better with a 1.5" lowering block on 12" shocks vs dedicated 10.5-11" shocks. I know plenty of ppl run blocks but something about it jus seems off to me with the shocks at that angle looks like it's gonna snap lol but i guess ud have a longer travel still tho right? maybe I can try both some day to see the difference.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:21 AM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 174 Likes on 84 Posts

I am running the Burly's with stock front end as well. Like the stance better without dropping the front end. I'm no expert, but think a dedicated shock is better than running lowering blocks. I run my shocks on the lowest setting weighing about 215lbs and not issues so far. Been really pleased with them so far.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:42 AM
CHEE-Z
Cruiser

Yup same here, I wana enhance that stance. Ok gents I'm gonna order mine today. Doin my 1k tune up after work and gonna amazon prime them to get em by the weekend since I have a ride to Tahoe planned for memorial day so I can potentially have an initial write up by next week for any future interested parties. I also agree with the dedicated shock theory and my 48 had 11" stockers on it so can't be any worse than that ride although it left a lot to be desired lol.. Keep u guys posted thanks again an Il get some pics up when it's done.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:35 AM
CHEE-Z
Cruiser

im sorry this convo has been going on in 2 threads at the same time, im gonna switch over to the other one from here on out only so here it is for anyone interested:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...e-glide-3.html

thanks again.