Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 wide glide ape hanger help

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Yellotsacul
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 wide glide ape hanger help

So i have a new wide glide and i am definitely putting apes on it. I know what bars im going with just trying to figure out what height to go with. I'm torn between 14" and 16" both with 1" risers. Just wondering if any of you guys with the new wide glides have done this set up and if it is comfortable for you. I am about 6' and just want them to be right at shoulder height. I think too much higher would be uncomfortable for longer rides. Any thoughts you have would help as i have been going back and forth for a few weeks now. Thanks

Old 07-11-2012, 12:51 AM
J.Sizer
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Just want to say welcome to the fun bro.......sorry I can't help with the bars I went the 12” way.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:29 AM
mccalljv
Cruiser

I'm 5'11" and went with 16"s. Personally I would have been unhappy going with the 14"s but have a Bob that already had 12"s on them.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:51 AM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Everybody has a different idea of what feels comfortable. Also, different manufacturers measure bars differently and you also have to consider the width of the bars at the grips. Best thing to do is sit on the bike and hold up a broom stick or pipe in the position that feels most comfortable and have someone take measurements for you.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:55 AM
trainedkilla
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I am 5' 11" and I have the 14" Carlinis. They feel just right. The 16's would be too high.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Yellotsacul
Novice

Originally Posted by HOGRIDA_06
Everybody has a different idea of what feels comfortable. Also, different manufacturers measure bars differently and you also have to consider the width of the bars at the grips. Best thing to do is sit on the bike and hold up a broom stick or pipe in the position that feels most comfortable and have someone take measurements for you.
Thanks for the info i appreciate the help. I also have a 85 Sporty with 12" bars and 3" risers and love the feel of those so I used the width and pullback measurements from those to find new ones. The height is the only thing in question because two inches is so little play when just holding a pipe there to take measurements its hard to guess whats comfortable when riding which is why i just wanted to hear other peoples thoughts.

Originally Posted by trainedkilla
I am 5' 11" and I have the 14" Carlinis. They feel just right. The 16's would be too high.
What size risers do you have on your bike?

Old 10-21-2012, 02:37 PM
stagepro
5th Gear

I'm 6'-1" and went with 14" Chubbyz Outlawz. I like the narrow base, 90 degree turn ups, and very little back angle at the control ends.

It's up to you, of course.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:21 PM
trainedkilla
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The 1" risers.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:02 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have 14's with 1" risers. 6' tall and kind of got monkey arms, and I think the 14's are perfect. You can rotate them forward to stretch you out more if you want. But I think going with 16's would be too high.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:13 PM
DynaRider27
Stage I

Well im glad to see short shots are hot.... So happy im going for the chrome on black and vice versa look. I Ride a 2012 wide glide. SO to get to my point. I just got my pipes on last night. I am ordering the wrinkle black Hypercharger on the 1rst. (I know for a fuel injected system it not going to do much other than the k&n that it comes with) black apes with stainless lines are my next add on. Im puzzled to what kind of apes to go with. I know i want 1 1/4 in bars but i don't want a real wide bars at the risers yet i don't want to go with the narrow bars either. Any advice?

Quick Reply: 2012 wide glide ape hanger help