Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installed new pipes and...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 09:48 AM
APEDnLOW
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installed new pipes and...

replaced the old samson bg3's with the new samson legend series street sweepers (that have the hose clamps now) and had a couple quick questions. First, the new to the old are about 6 inches shorter and the bends are a little different do you think i should have to re-tune with these or no? also, when i put them on the reveal (gap between upper and lower pipe at the rear mounting bracket) of the pipes wasn't even where it naturally wanted to sit so is it ok to push on pipe up or down on the rear mount to even it out as long as it doesn't take much pressure to do it? Lastly, what procedure does everyone go through to install pipes? i put everything on loose to start, then tightened my flange nuts while switching back and forth between them keeping them even, then i tightened the rear mount bolts and the snugged the heat shield clamps.
just wanted to make sure that's the right way to go about it.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd retune. Pipes can make a big difference.

If I remember correctly, the workshop manual tells you to tighten the stock exhaust from the back to the front - dunno why. Doesn't the new pipes' instructions tell you what they suggest?

Old 07-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Samson_tech
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are going about the install pretty much the way we recommend except tighten all around as you go making sure the pipes are gapped evenly between themselves for best looks. As you tighten the pipes at the heads tighten at the brackets as well. This makes sure there is no bind at all at any one place. There is plenty of adjustment built into the pipes and bracket to make sure they will mount straight with each other and parallel with the frame. Make sure you tighten everything evenly. The heat shields clamps can be tightened after everything else if you like since the pipes are actually help in place by the inner head pipes. When tightening the flange nuts you may notice the pipe can move inward and outward of the bike as they are tightened. Make sure they are tightened evenly for proper clearance with floorboards or the engine. Spacing the pipes at this point is important as well. If you need any other pointers on this installation please let us know. We are here to help. Sorry if I got too involved here but I am a gear head and like to make sure everything is correct. This is actually easier than what I may have made it out to be.
Happy riding,
JR

Old 07-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Samson_tech
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Foxster
I'd retune. Pipes can make a big difference.

If I remember correctly, the workshop manual tells you to tighten the stock exhaust from the back to the front - dunno why. Doesn't the new pipes' instructions tell you what they suggest?
Since these pipes are basically made the same as the BG3 pipes as far as head pipes and baffle you will not have to re tune if the tune was correct with the previous pipes.
Thanks,
JR

Old 07-06-2012, 11:54 AM
ric306
Advanced

been looking at a power flow111, samson's response just made up my mind.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:46 PM
APEDnLOW
Intermediate

thanks for the replies (especially samson) sounds like everything should be good, now i just have to ride and see how they act

Old 07-07-2012, 08:05 PM
denimbob08
Cruiser

well how did they do???