Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Capacity Question - Doesn't Add Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 07:48 PM
tonygret
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Capacity Question - Doesn't Add Up

First, I have a 2009 FXDL Dyna Lowrider. I am the original owner and its never been damaged in any way and the fuel tank has not been modified or raised.

So here is the issue. The owners manual states the fuel capacity at 4.8 US gallons. Today I drove for as long as I dared. The low fuel light was on and the mileage counter said I had 14 miles to go before empty. I stopped and filled it up until there was no way another drop was going in. It took exactly 3.55 gallons. That can only mean the gauge is off 1.25 gallons or 25%!

Of course I would rather have it this way then run out at 1/4 tank, but this is way off in my opinion. Have any of you experienced the same thing?

Old 06-30-2012, 07:56 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tonygret
The low fuel light was on and the mileage counter said I had 14 miles to go before empty. I stopped and filled it up until there was no way another drop was going in. It took exactly 3.55 gallons. That can only mean the gauge is off 1.25 gallons or 25%!

Of course I would rather have it this way then run out at 1/4 tank, but this is way off in my opinion. Have any of you experienced the same thing?
Yep, common problem. Mine is off by about the same. It will scream EMPTY and with a 5 gallon tank the most I have ever filled in is 4 gallons and that was with it claiming that I was out of fuel and with 0 miles until empty.
The other issue is the SMOG fuel fillers will shut off with more than .5 gallons of empty space left so I have to hold the SMOG neck up by hand with the nozzel just touching the anti-splash neck to completely fill the tank.
Bob

Old 06-30-2012, 08:17 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Do not rely on your guage, use your mileage as a reference instead. With my tank lift the gas idiot light goes on with 1/2 a tank still left to burn! When I'm on the very last line on the guage I fill up with only 4 gallons.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Randall
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Don't feel bad, I don't have a gauge and can squeeze 5.2 gallons into my tank if its bone dry but u can run it on reserve til it dies and will only be able to put 3 gallons into it max! That's a PITA!

Old 06-30-2012, 08:47 PM
milesvdustin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 08 FXDC, supposed to be 5.1 gallons per the manual. I usually go 200 miles and then fill up, takes about 4.2-.3 to top it off. The idiot light comes on around 150 miles. I just go with mileage.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:08 PM
len_atwork
Tourer

Are you filling the tank by watching the level, or do you push the nozzle in and wait for it to click off?? I've seen guys use an adapter that keeps the nozzle from going so far into the tank.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:40 PM
tonygret
Tourer

len_atwork,

Here in So Cal we have those PITA nozzels that click off way too early. What I do is after it clicks off I pull the nozzle out and use my fingers to pull the boot back so I can fill the tank up as close to the top as I want. Like I said in my origianl post, any more gas in there and it would have gone out the overflow or on the ground.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:07 AM
jim425
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My FXD is about the same. I think I got 4.4 in it once. Usually it's about 3.6-3.7 after the light comes on. I don't push it since it doesn't have a reserve unless I don't have a choice, and there is quite the distance between stations. They are definitely not long range tourers! My previous bike held about 2 gallons more.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:00 AM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member

Glad to hear I'm not alone.

Today was the first time I was able to put three gallons in. I've yet to see the light but I have let the gauge get real close to empty. When I do fill it I hold the nozzle as close to the top of the tank that I can and squeeze the trigger real easy. The gas comes out slowly but I can get it filled almost to the top. I'd like to know where the other 1.8 gallons of gas is hiding.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:27 AM
nashspu
Cruiser

I love this discussion. I have been wondering this same thing ever sing I got my Low Rider a little over a month ago. Switch to reserve and go 20 miles and still not get 4 gallons in a 4.8 tank seemed odd to me. My old Shadow had a .6 gallon reserve and it was almost dead on. That bike I could put 4.0 gallons in a 3.8 tank and did on many occasion. Thought I was losing my mind on the Low Rider with this gas issue.

Quick Reply: Fuel Capacity Question - Doesn't Add Up