Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How'd you know your MOTOR MOUNT was BAD?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Austin Dave
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm....maybe that is the cause of the 'clunk' I sometimes experience! '03 has fewer than 10,000mi on it. SM shows 5 'checks' to make. On lift?

Old 07-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Steel Steed
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Got the mount/isolator today (parts department is open on Sundays here). The guy said it's a real pain to replace it.
Well, jacked up the bike, used part of a wooden broom stick to put under the engine, lowered the bike down until the stick supported the engine, then started taking out the four bolts. Two allen head bolts and two 9/16's bolts/nuts. The allen bolts came out easy. The first, 9/16 bolt couldn't be removed because it hit the frame but, after removing the other 9/16, I could wiggle the mount and everything came loose easily.
Then put on the new one.

The whole process MAYBE took 30mins. It was very easy to change.

Took the bike on a short ride around, and it seems this was the problem. I didn't notice any banging when going over bumps like it was before.

I didn't use washers to fill the gap. There was a bit of a gap, but I just put it back on the same way it came off. Hopefully it lasts at least another 18k miles.

edit: added pics
Is it me, or does it look like a different part? I do know I had to adjust the engine height after removing the old to install the new. I thought it was due to the old one being worn out, but after looking at the pics, they appear to be slightly different. Maybe they're the same and the old one is just destroyed. Hard to tell.

Attached Thumbnails How'd you know your MOTOR MOUNT was BAD?-northeast-tarrant-20120701-00151.jpg   How'd you know your MOTOR MOUNT was BAD?-northeast-tarrant-20120701-00154.jpg  

Last edited by Steel Steed; 07-01-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:54 PM
J.Sizer
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

lots of good information.. glad you're back on the road.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:47 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mang0
And you would be overpaying. Ronnie's parts finder shows that oem part is 109.99.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:04 AM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

I was at the dealer a couple of weeks ago talking to the parts manager. He told me there was an upgraded front mount for the Dyna that was made from a different material. He told me for $160 he would order it for me. You have to realize that once a Harley part crosses the border, it magically doubles in price.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:58 AM
mang0
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
And you would be overpaying. Ronnie's parts finder shows that oem part is 109.99.
not saying i would buy them (not a big fan of JP), only pointing out that there are options...

Old 07-02-2012, 05:25 AM
rs87277
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

good thread

Old 07-02-2012, 06:20 PM
chris h.
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Add me to the sagging mount list. I've got 4000 miles on the clock, purchased one year ago. Guess I'll get it checked under warranty.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:52 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hmm ... interesting how much the original sagged ... how worn out and deformed the rubber appears in comparison to the new one ...

Attached Thumbnails How'd you know your MOTOR MOUNT was BAD?-motor-mount.jpg  
Old 07-02-2012, 06:54 PM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel Steed
Got the mount/isolator today (parts department is open on Sundays here). The guy said it's a real pain to replace it.
Well, jacked up the bike, used part of a wooden broom stick to put under the engine, lowered the bike down until the stick supported the engine, then started taking out the four bolts. Two allen head bolts and two 9/16's bolts/nuts. The allen bolts came out easy. The first, 9/16 bolt couldn't be removed because it hit the frame but, after removing the other 9/16, I could wiggle the mount and everything came loose easily.
Then put on the new one.

The whole process MAYBE took 30mins. It was very easy to change.

Took the bike on a short ride around, and it seems this was the problem. I didn't notice any banging when going over bumps like it was before.

I didn't use washers to fill the gap. There was a bit of a gap, but I just put it back on the same way it came off. Hopefully it lasts at least another 18k miles.

edit: added pics
Is it me, or does it look like a different part? I do know I had to adjust the engine height after removing the old to install the new. I thought it was due to the old one being worn out, but after looking at the pics, they appear to be slightly different. Maybe they're the same and the old one is just destroyed. Hard to tell.

That's how mine looked when I took them out. You can see in the first picture that the old one has been hitting the engine bracket. Look between the tabs at the top of the mount (front in the picture) you can see that the paint is rubbed off a bit. That is where your vibration was coming from. The mount had sagged enought to let the metal part of the mount come in contact with the metal engine bracket.

Quick Reply: How'd you know your MOTOR MOUNT was BAD?