Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just how loud should this sewing machine be?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 06:40 PM
01ragtop
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just how loud should this sewing machine be?

I have really started to notice the valve train on my 2006 Wide Glide recently. To be fair, I am overly concerned about noises right now because I have recently replaced my inner primary bearing due to the roller skate noise. Bike has 26,000 miles, Stage one, V&H big radius 2-2,and PCIII.

I definitely have the sewing machine sound, but it seems louder than before. I can hear it all the way up to about 60 mph with no windshield and ear plugs. After that wind noise takes over and I can't hear anything but wind. I have switched helmets recently as well, and riding with my old helmet, I don't hear the noise as well, but it can be heard. My new helmet has less wind noise at lower speeds.

The noise is not a tapping noise, so I don't think the lifters are collapsing, but there is definitely some ticking and on decel even some clacking noise. Rarely, I even get a metallic clank noise, but that doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it is under heavy acceleration in the lower gears. (might be unrelated.)

Anyone who has been through this, should I just ride it till it breaks, or should I start to tear it down and look for wear? If I need to look for wear, where is the best place to start? Top end, lifters, cams?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 06-29-2012, 06:51 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Bring it to a few places that really know about v-twin engines that you can trust and get some opinions. Otherwise I'm not sure anyone here can analyze a sound we can't actually hear. Sorry I can't be more help.
On the up-sde maybe you do just think it's louder because you have quieted the primary problem's sound.
I would wait it out three four weeks and listen, but we all get that noise. I suggst using syn oil if you are'nt already.... and maybe even louder pipes LOL. But it don't get much louder than what you have!

Old 06-29-2012, 07:22 PM
lieutenant G
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you change where you get gas? octane? It vary well could be spark-knock. run a search for it and see if you find some answers. hope this helps.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:13 PM
01ragtop
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maddghost
Bring it to a few places that really know about v-twin engines that you can trust and get some opinions...

I would wait it out three four weeks and listen, but we all get that noise. I suggst using syn oil if you are'nt already.... and maybe even louder pipes LOL. But it don't get much louder than what you have!
I don't really know any good v-twin people; i'm going to have to show up a couple of places and see what I think. Its been a couple of weeks, and it doesn't seem to be getting any worse. I have put about 1200 miles on it since I first noticed it. 250 or so of those miles were pretty hard miles riding the twisties another 100 or so was 2up, the rest is a couple of weeks of commuting and running around town.

Originally Posted by lieutenant G
did you change where you get gas? octane? It vary well could be spark-knock. run a search for it and see if you find some answers. hope this helps.
I use Chevron or Shell 91 octane, and I can hear a "tink" noise on the exhaust side under hard acceleration going up hill, but it has always done
that and I figured that was the noise that is well documented on here that no one seems to know what it is. I thought it was my heat shields until so many other began to mention they have it too.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:21 AM
milesvdustin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that issue and it was bad gas around here. I only get gas that is 93 octane unless I absolutely have to.