Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you prep an engine that's been idle for months?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:46 AM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face How do you prep an engine that's been idle for months?

I recently purchased a 2005 Dyna SuperGlide with 52,000 miles on it. It was in bad shape, and it had been sitting on an auction lot for months waiting to be sold. I drained all the fluids,put in Motul 20w50 Synthetic for the engine and changed the filter (also changed transmission fluid). 480 miles later, I take a trip outside the city when the engine begins to make this knocking noise in one of the cylinders. I stopped and checked the oil, there was very little left and it was pitch black already. Needless to say, I stopped right then and there and trailered it home. Should I have cleaned the engine more thoroughly with motor flush or something like that before replacing the fluids for the first time? How do you make sure you've cleaned it well from the inside before putting a bike back on the road where it belongs?

A little more info:
1. The bike has a cone shaped filter, facing downward. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.
2. Bike starts and runs. I just didn't want to keep going with that new noise.
3. The noise is a clank, like metal hitting metal, though I'm not entirely sure. The noise is loudest when the bike is idling, and decreases when you open the throttle.
4. If an overhaul is required, what should I buy and where should I buy it?

Thank you for your time!

Old 06-25-2012, 09:58 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

you need to open the cam chest and inspect the front and rear tensioners. most likely the rear tensioner just grenaded and took out the cams, bearing, oil pump, etc....

Old 06-25-2012, 10:04 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like you MAY have caused some damage, oil pressure is it's lowest at idle, which explains more noise then.
If you could see oil on the dipstick usually you are ok, but the noise you describe makes me think that may not be true in this case.
Was it burning oil or leaking? Oil had to go somewhere if you filled it.

Change the oils, check the drain plugs for metal shavings. Put in fresh oil and see if you still have the noise.
I would also do as 07 described above and check the cam tensioners.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:39 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FXD_noob
I recently purchased a 2005 Dyna SuperGlide with 52,000 miles on it. It was in bad shape, and it had been sitting on an auction lot for months waiting to be sold...
You bought a bum bike w/ problems from a typically disreputable source. Take it to a pro who can troubleshoot it properly. And order the service and parts manuals.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:46 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Since its damn near impossible to diagnose a sound without being able to hear it or determine its location I'd say consult a professional since it sounds like you don't really have too much of a clue v

Old 06-26-2012, 05:25 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master

Originally Posted by lo-rider
You bought a bum bike w/ problems from a typically disreputable source. Take it to a pro who can troubleshoot it properly. And order the service and parts manuals.

Well, I live abroad so I had to look for the most "cost-effective" options available. I paid more in shipping, handling, and customs than what I paid for the bike itself.

BTW, thank you for your input (and everybody else's), there is so much I need to learn. I'm getting the service manuals in a couple of weeks, time to get down and dirty with this bike! There is no "take it to a pro" option in these parts, as they don't service imported bikes.

I'll start by changing the oil (and filter) for the second time to see how this affects the noise. I'm pretty sure riding outside the city and using 4th and 5th gears for long distances really loosened up whatever dirt and other contaminants the engine might have held inside from being inactive for such a long time.

Last edited by FXD_noob; 06-26-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:20 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,857 Likes on 2,554 Posts

My first question is "how familar are you with this Superglide?" Do you know what drain plugs drain what? Do you know how much oil to put in after you drain the old out? How much of a pain will it be to put the stock oil filter mount back together? Did you know in advance the locals don't work on "imports"? I truly hope you are a somewhat skilled mechanic because in all seriousness it looks like you will be your indy. If I ragged on you too much then I apologize, like previously stated sounds like you bought someone elses problem.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:19 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
My first question is "how familar are you with this Superglide?" Do you know what drain plugs drain what? Do you know how much oil to put in after you drain the old out? How much of a pain will it be to put the stock oil filter mount back together? Did you know in advance the locals don't work on "imports"? I truly hope you are a somewhat skilled mechanic because in all seriousness it looks like you will be your indy. If I ragged on you too much then I apologize, like previously stated sounds like you bought someone elses problem.
I'm not very familiar with this particular model, but it is my fourth bike. (I've had 3 metrics, this would be my first H-D) so I'm used to changing oil, filters, replacing clutch cables, etc all the small things an amateur biker should know how to do. So I'm not what you would call a "skilled mechanic" but I get around.

And yes, I knew the only local dealership doesn't work with imported Harleys, but I'm not in the position to buy new at this moment in time. You gotta do what you can with what you have! The good thing is I have the help of other biker friends whose experience vastly surpasses mine, so I'm not really that worried about this issue, troublesome as it may be.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:52 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

The mention of being certain that you service the correct oil is a valid one. There are 3 oil fills on the Dynas. Be certain that you are in fact changing the motor oil and not the trans. oil. Common mistake.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:24 AM
FXD_noob
Road Master

Originally Posted by DCLXVI
The mention of being certain that you service the correct oil is a valid one. There are 3 oil fills on the Dynas. Be certain that you are in fact changing the motor oil and not the trans. oil. Common mistake.
It's true. First time I thought I was draining tranny oil but it turns out it was something else. I know now there's one for the primary, one for the engine, and one for the transmission.

I just hope the wrenching I have planned for the weekend solves the issue.

Quick Reply: How do you prep an engine that's been idle for months?