Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Done...21" conversion and did it 100% by mysel

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 08:59 PM
tcabello
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Done...21" conversion and did it 100% by mysel

Finally got done with my 21" wheel conversion I started last week. I broke a spoke so had to wait and order a new batch from drag specialties...I had difficulties lacing the wheel but read and reread a couple of threads and figured out what I was doing wrong.

I took off the old tire myself (witch to take off) and unlaced rim...broke a spoke so ordered new spokes...painted lower forks with epoxy,changed brake pads,relaced rim, trued my rim on my fork (I know this wasn't the best option but you gotta understand that I'm in a small town and there's only one Indy and them and I are at odds)...mounted the tire and used ride on tire balancer to avoid having to balance the tire...test drove around town and feels great...need to take her out on the highway but that'll have to wait...

I had originally intended to leave rim chrome, then I decided to plasti-dip (since I had so much down time)...in the process of lacing the spokes I scracthed the plasti dip so I decided to remove it...had I done the lacing correctly the first time (took me 4 times to get it correct) I would've been able to salvage the palsti dip on the rim...but oh well, live and learn...

I know a lot of you aren't use to different front and rear wheels but I've seen it before and I like it...I like the contrast...besides I think I'll be replacing my rear wheel for a one piece mag like the type that came on dueces's...saw a few on ebay for not to expensive...kinda give a drag bike look.

yall have a good one (ps, you can look at my sig pic to see the before pic)

Done...21" conversion and did it 100% by mysel-img-20120623-00099.jpg

Done...21" conversion and did it 100% by mysel-img-20120623-00101.jpg

Old 06-23-2012, 09:19 PM
tcabello
Tourer

fyi here's the part's break down
  • 120/70-21 Metz tire from motorcycle superstore: 148.19 with shipping
  • Jirech 30-50 rim and rim strip: 50.10 (with shipping)
  • Hawk brake pads(244-803) and ride on tire sealant and balancer (353-177) from JP cycles: 58.97 with shipping.
  • Kenda 21" inner tube (280262)(messed up and didn't order when I ordered tire so had to pay shipping on this as well: 22.98 with shipping
  • Drag Specialties Spokes (DS380139) from Cycle Parts for less: 59.64 with shipping.
  • Black appliance expoxy paint from Home Depot: about 6.00
  • Dot 4 brake fluid from wally world: less than 4.00
  • Labor: nada, zero, noting, all me
Total: 349.88

remember I could've saved 58.97 if I hadn't broken spoke...but still not bad for new tire, brakes, rim, spokes and painted lower...I'm happy

Old 06-23-2012, 09:25 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks good man. I would've gone with a black rim but it's a matter of opinion. Glad you got it done and the threads helped out.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:41 PM
tcabello
Tourer

Originally Posted by ryderbiker
Looks good man. I would've gone with a black rim but it's a matter of opinion. Glad you got it done and the threads helped out.
one of your posts really helped me out, so thanks a mil...

Old 06-23-2012, 09:50 PM
Tat2u
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

i think the chrome rims look way better, thats the beauty of all the different looks you can get, great job man !!

Old 06-24-2012, 12:11 AM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

No problem. I gleaned a bunch of info here while building my bike both times. Glad something I posted helped someone else.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:04 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,608 Likes on 848 Posts

Good for you! It give you a great feeling to finish a job like that. I did my own also. Kind of a pain in the ***, but I was really happy when I finished.

Crazy

Old 06-24-2012, 02:07 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by tcabello
I know a lot of you aren't use to different front and rear wheels but I've seen it before and I like it...I like the contrast...besides I think I'll be replacing my rear wheel for a one piece mag like the type that came on dueces's...saw a few on ebay for not to expensive...kinda give a drag bike look.
I like the look quite a bit. I had a chrome Fatboy mag on the back and a King Spoke up front.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:24 AM
tcabello
Tourer

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
I like the look quite a bit. I had a chrome Fatboy mag on the back and a King Spoke up front.

that's exactly what I'm working towards...thanks for the pic.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Bagger Jim
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Got to hand it to ya, lacing a wheel is not for people without patience. I just put the chrome Deuce wheel on the back of mine, and I really like the way it looks.

Quick Reply: Done...21" conversion and did it 100% by mysel