Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Dyna Primary Bearing Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 11:47 AM
britbiker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Dyna Primary Bearing Problem?

Read a roadtest in Motorcycle Cruiser mag (link below)which mentionsa primary bearing issue (needs replacing every 15000 miles! - HD do it free of charge for the life of the bike)on the new models. Although I love my Sportster I intend upgrading to a Dyna in the not too distant future. Have HD resolved this issue? It worried me that my local UK HD dealership was unaware of the bearing problem. Can any of you guys thow any light on the subject? Thanks.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roa...na_wide_glide/

Old 01-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Oilslick
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2006 Dyna Primary Bearing Problem?

The MoCo daid that there is no longer a need to change the bearing at 15,000 miles but there are reports of the bearing failing long before this.

Mine is OK.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:43 PM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,093 Likes on 351 Posts

thats what I heard too, I'm not at 15k yet, (6800) but when I bought the bike I signed a paper that when they do a 15K service they will pull apart and check the bearing for study?and replace if necessary. But..so far, so good. Good luck. I think if you by a later model '06, you may be ok.

ORIGINAL: Oilslick

The MoCo daid that there is no longer a need to change the bearing at 15,000 miles but there are reports of the bearing failing long before this.

Mine is OK.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:50 PM
makoshark333
Cruiser

Mine went on Lucille around 8600 miles. Went quick in 2 days about 300 miles once she started to make noise. Dealer said it was replaced w/ a better bearing???? We will see when she turns around 17,000. MAKO

Old 01-12-2007, 02:00 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This article came out a month or so after HD released a letter saying that the primary bearing issue wasn't an issue anymore. At first I was a little aggrivated that they didn't clarify the fact that HD has issued letters saying 15K inspection wasn't necessary anymore. Then I thought about it...and I pretty much figured that the article was probably written before HD sent out those letters.

Todd

Old 01-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Hey Joe
Advanced

Old 01-13-2007, 01:01 AM
gto frank
Advanced

if your dealer said he didnt know about this berring problem i would have a problem with that dealer im sure every dealer in the whole country knowes about this problem. my dealer told me that if it goes after the two year warentee i would have to pay for it.. what a cop out

Old 01-13-2007, 01:27 PM
grizzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, so far so good with the bearing in mine, but if it goes, I dont care that HD changed their mind on the integrity of the bearing...they knew there was a problem and I have thepaper with them admitting it. They will fix it. I think it is funny that they said there was no more issues with the bearing, but then advertised a newer srtonger one in the 07 tranny....hmmmmm???

Old 01-13-2007, 01:44 PM
britbiker
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: grizzly

Well, so far so good with the bearing in mine, but if it goes, I dont care that HD changed their mind on the integrity of the bearing...they knew there was a problem and I have thepaper with them admitting it. They will fix it. I think it is funny that they said there was no more issues with the bearing, but then advertised a newer srtonger one in the 07 tranny....hmmmmm???
Been in touch with the MoCo. Stronger bearing fitted for 2007 bikes. It would appear that for some reason there is a lot of extra stress being placed on that primary bearing, I wonder why? I don't think HD can just walk away from the people who bought the earlier version, especially when they issued written work admitting the problem.

Thanks for the input guys.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:35 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The formal answer from the MoCo is: " Bearing noise? They all do that. It's part of the Harley experience".

Quick Reply: 2006 Dyna Primary Bearing Problem?