Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Dyna Primary Bearing Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Oilslick
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2006 Dyna Primary Bearing Problem?

ORIGINAL: britbiker

ORIGINAL: grizzly

Well, so far so good with the bearing in mine, but if it goes, I dont care that HD changed their mind on the integrity of the bearing...they knew there was a problem and I have thepaper with them admitting it. They will fix it. I think it is funny that they said there was no more issues with the bearing, but then advertised a newer srtonger one in the 07 tranny....hmmmmm???

Been in touch with the MoCo. Stronger bearing fitted for 2007 bikes. It would appear that for some reason there is a lot of extra stress being placed on that primary bearing, I wonder why? I don't think HD can just walk away from the people who bought the earlier version, especially when they issued written work admitting the problem.

Thanks for the input guys.
Anyone know if this new bearing will fit the '06 and what is the part #

Old 01-13-2007, 04:51 PM
grizzly
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Oilslick

ORIGINAL: britbiker

ORIGINAL: grizzly

Well, so far so good with the bearing in mine, but if it goes, I dont care that HD changed their mind on the integrity of the bearing...they knew there was a problem and I have thepaper with them admitting it. They will fix it. I think it is funny that they said there was no more issues with the bearing, but then advertised a newer srtonger one in the 07 tranny....hmmmmm???

Been in touch with the MoCo. Stronger bearing fitted for 2007 bikes. It would appear that for some reason there is a lot of extra stress being placed on that primary bearing, I wonder why? I don't think HD can just walk away from the people who bought the earlier version, especially when they issued written work admitting the problem.

Thanks for the input guys.
Anyone know if this new bearing will fit the '06 and what is the part #
Hmmm...... Good question.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:38 PM
squeeech
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

G'day, I wish "britbiker" was right .... I really do.... but harley are still showing "9231" in the "07 parts book. Anyone
know anything about MoCo upgrades... (officially)??

Graham

Old 01-15-2007, 09:45 PM
Psycho
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I don't know if it's official or not, but I purchased an inner primary bearing for my 06' today, and while there, I had him look up the 07' just for $hits and giggles. It lists the same bearing as the 06'.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:03 PM
98glider
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

We all new the bearing would be the same. These bearing problems should be taken care of years ago. There should be a recall on all these bikes. They are hoping that some peple don't know about these problems and just live with the problems. That is why we educate ourselves with forums like these.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:51 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: gto frank

if your dealer said he didnt know about this berring problem i would have a problem with that dealer im sure every dealer in the whole country knowes about this problem. my dealer told me that if it goes after the two year warentee i would have to pay for it.. what a cop out
If my bearing goes after warranty.......They will get a chance to view the letter they sent me in small claims court. It would be pretty difficult for a major manufacturer to deny the bearings were bad from the start when you have a letter on their letterhead that is an addendum to their owners manual. Besides, I'll just subpoena 1/2 of the HD executive staff to Cleveland to small claims court and they will pay.......or spend $10k in travel for the Chief Engineer & VP of Quality to sit in court over a $500 warranty claim.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:08 PM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Psycho

I had him look up the 07' just for $hits and giggles. It lists the same bearing as the 06'.

Thats what I was told also.. They said the problem with the '06 bearing is that a retainer clip could be mounted as to block the oil flo... and that the assembly people were not instructed on this problem untill later in the production...

Old 01-15-2007, 11:17 PM
Psycho
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: RonnR

ORIGINAL: Psycho

I had him look up the 07' just for $hits and giggles. It lists the same bearing as the 06'.

Thats what I was told also.. They said the problem with the '06 bearing is that a retainer clip could be mounted as to block the oil flo... and that the assembly people were not instructed on this problem untill later in the production...
Nope. My clip was installed properly. Bearing still bit the dust.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:39 PM
06dynablack
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

ORIGINAL: gto frank

if your dealer said he didnt know about this berring problem i would have a problem with that dealer im sure every dealer in the whole country knowes about this problem. my dealer told me that if it goes after the two year warentee i would have to pay for it.. what a cop out
If my bearing goes after warranty.......They will get a chance to view the letter they sent me in small claims court. It would be pretty difficult for a major manufacturer to deny the bearings were bad from the start when you have a letter on their letterhead that is an addendum to their owners manual. Besides, I'll just subpoena 1/2 of the HD executive staff to Cleveland to small claims court and they will pay.......or spend $10k in travel for the Chief Engineer & VP of Quality to sit in court over a $500 warranty claim.
now I likes that kind of thinking

Old 01-16-2007, 12:54 AM
mud
muderator
Received 9,109 Likes on 2,119 Posts

ORIGINAL: glebo
.................................................. ............................
when I bought the bike I signed a paper that when they do a 15K service
they will pull apart and check the bearing for study?and replace if necessary.
.................................................. ............................
glebo, I also signed the paper.

It is called "Notice of Amendment to Owner's Manual".

It has my signature on it,
the signature of Steve Phillips, Vice President - Quality and Customer Service,
as well as the signature of the Dealer Representative (my saleslady).

The conditions are plain and simply stated, and, agreed to by all of the interested parties.

Case closed.

mud

Quick Reply: 2006 Dyna Primary Bearing Problem?