Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

damn samson pipes

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012 | 04:39 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member

I guess I should check mine - where's the typical place to look on a 2 into 1?

Old 06-18-2012 | 07:18 PM
Shovelhed
Tourer

Samson street sweepers and no problems for years...

Old 06-18-2012 | 07:20 PM
BigMike
Club Member

I wouldn't hit a dog in the *** with Samson pipes. Had some of their mufflers and they were the cheapest, low quality build and chrome I've ever seen. Can't fix low quality.

Old 06-18-2012 | 08:49 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member

I have a very simple question for the ones that have had cracked welds. What is the detailed procedure you use to mount the pipes? That makes all the difference in the world. I am not saying you all don't know what you are doing. I am just curious. The pipes move with the engine and trans so technically they should not crack. Unless they are put in a bind such as tightening the mounting plate bolts then tightening the flange bolts which puts the pipe under stress.
BTW: I had a set of Samson Street Sweepers on my old Evo Springer and never had any issues with them.

Last edited by ghostrider69; 06-18-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-19-2012 | 12:15 AM
APEDnLOW
|
Intermediate

i put mine on the jugs and tighten them there first to torque spec while the rear mount is extremely loose with just a nut on them. i also have put a piece of shim between the pipe and mount because when tightened to the jugs there natural resting place is actually off the mount about 1/8" on the rear pipe and between the shim and mount i've put a thin piece of isolation rubber so i'm sure the way im putting them on isn't putting them in any sort of pre-stress....

Old 06-19-2012 | 12:18 AM
APEDnLOW
|
Intermediate

Samson fixed issue

Last edited by APEDnLOW; 07-16-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-19-2012 | 01:38 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member

Samson worked with me and warranties the first two pipes that cracked. The third time it happened though I was done, no more warranteeing anything, just time for a change. They were more than helpful the first two times though, I won't sit here and bash their customer service.

As far as installation, I put the first set on myself. I know how to install pipes. When it cracked, I had my local Indy shop install the new set, wondering (like you are, ghost rider) if there wasnt something I overlooked. That set cracked too. I installed the third myself again, and it cracked as well. Finger tighten everything, position the pipes perfectly, and tighten everything down evenly, then torque to specs.

Old 06-19-2012 | 07:41 AM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior

I have no experience with Samson, but I will say that the V&H Big Shots staggered are some of the finest pipes I have seen as far as fit, finish, and quality. My brother has them on his 04 FXDWG and they look sweet on that bike. They also have a crossover so they perform a bit better than most 2 into 2 pipes and sound sweet.

As far as Bassani, the pipe quality is great that I have, but the fit was not so much. The pipe I have is supposed to fit 1991-2012 Dynas and that may be the issue. I have seen guys on here running the pipe on 2006 and newer Dynas with absolutely no issues, I think the fitment is better on the newer frame. The front pipe rides very close to the frame downtube on my bike and actually hit it before I changed my motor mount and shimmed it. The heatshield still tapped against the frame at certain RPMs, so I took it off and cut a small piece off for clearance, no issues with that anymore but I should not have had to modify something that was supposed to fit in the first place. It performs great though, here is a link: http://www.bassani.com/part/1D12RB

Old 06-19-2012 | 11:56 PM
APEDnLOW
|
Intermediate

i like the street sweepers the best as far as looks but i'm really starting to like the big shots staggered...
shovelhed are your street sweepers the ones with removable heat shields or the welded ones? thats what they did was discontinue the BG3 street sweepers and came out with the legend series that are removable (obviously the weld issues)

Old 06-20-2012 | 09:15 AM
Prodriverdon
Road Master

I have a buddy with Samson pipes and they are crap. That being said I have had the V&H SSS on mine for almost 7yrs and they look brand new. I didnt like they V&H tone but with the BCT Baffles they are sounding better than ever.

Quick Reply: damn samson pipes