Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I just put mini boards on my forward pegs? Or better adding boards on mid-mount?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 12:18 AM
leaky
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Can I just put mini boards on my forward pegs? Or better adding boards on mid-mount?

I've been "moving in" to my '03 Dyna Low Rider. Got HD saddlebags on the way to address luggage problems now moving onto the #2 issue which is on the highway the forward pegs start getting to me (bike has forward controls).

What I'm thinking of is getting a set of mini boards and mounting them instead of my forward pegs..

Then if that doesn't get me into the right comfort level I'm thinking I'll pickup a set of mid mount brackets and will add the same mini boards off those and put my pegs back up front. Then can use the boards as a 2nd position on the highway. I really like the forwards with pegs just they suck once you get over 60 MPH..

Is that a good plan?

I've also seen the kits for full size boards on a Dyna but really don't want to go there unless I have to. I'm trying to keep the bike fairly clean just I'd like to ride it to work comfortably, which is 60 miles and mostly 65+ MPH highway.

This is my first bike ever, so could use some guidance.

Thanks,

Jon

Old 06-09-2012, 12:57 AM
BoozerHi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that a good plan?

Yes, you'll more than likely enjoy your ride with a little more wiggle room for the feet. If your stretching real far, I'd just go to mids.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:20 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The new mini floorboards from HD are really nice. They look a lot better on the bike then they do in the pictures and you can adjust the angle. I'm going to buy a second set today.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:33 AM
bg1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two sets of the HD mini footboard pegs on the bob. Great improvement. My feet don't feel like there being blown off the pegs at any speed, well at least any speed I travel. Angle adjustable for comfort. My wife is much more comfortable with them in the passenger position also.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:36 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by leaky
I've been "moving in" to my '03 Dyna Low Rider. Got HD saddlebags on the way to address luggage problems now moving onto the #2 issue which is on the highway the forward pegs start getting to me (bike has forward controls).

What I'm thinking of is getting a set of mini boards and mounting them instead of my forward pegs..

Then if that doesn't get me into the right comfort level I'm thinking I'll pickup a set of mid mount brackets and will add the same mini boards off those and put my pegs back up front. Then can use the boards as a 2nd position on the highway. I really like the forwards with pegs just they suck once you get over 60 MPH..

Is that a good plan?

I've also seen the kits for full size boards on a Dyna but really don't want to go there unless I have to. I'm trying to keep the bike fairly clean just I'd like to ride it to work comfortably, which is 60 miles and mostly 65+ MPH highway.

This is my first bike ever, so could use some guidance.

Thanks,

Jon
Jon, to answer your question more thoroughly look at my album. I went one step further by installing full FL boards on. Look at your frame and you will see in the middle under the engine there are mounting stub blocks. Those are specifically made to mount FL boards similar to the Switchback. Just behind the foot brake and forward peg mount on the right side and just behind the shifter you will see another. You can use the base of the forward foot pegs as the mount for the rear brake to save some cash. You can either go with new parts or source used FL mounts and tins. On mine due to the V&H Staggered I had to clerence the rear right side mount to clear the pipe. I took off about .375". It is comfortable and easy to manage. It also allows me to stretch out on longer trips. Sometime down the road I will buy some new trick replacement aftermarket boards for added hard cornering clearence.
Bob

Old 06-10-2012, 06:42 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i replaced the pegs on the 99 fxr3 with some ajustable mini floorboards i bought on ebay . look good comfey

Old 06-11-2012, 07:13 AM
Mexican
Cruiser

Does anybody have a picture with the mini boards installed?

Old 06-11-2012, 03:16 PM
DutchBob
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mexican
Does anybody have a picture with the mini boards installed?
Here you go....

Attached Thumbnails Can I just put mini boards on my forward pegs? Or better adding boards on mid-mount?-0119.jpg  
Old 06-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Mexican
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DutchBob
Here you go....
Crap!! i don't have enough posts yet to see pictures

Old 06-12-2012, 11:37 PM
leaky
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I got kinda tied up since I posted this but it was not forgotten. Thank you very much for your help. It sounds like I can just try the mini boards, at least for aftermarket it'd be a cheap experiment..

It seems like every 120 mile round trip I take to work I'm more and more comfortable on the forward pegs alone though.

At the same time the comment about being able to go to full boards and gaining some cornering clearance sounds really good. I seem to scrape the pegs alot.

Gonna put the bags on that just showed up and see how I feel minus the backpack. Thinking maybe after taking the load off my shoulders, and adding some risers to put me in more of a legs-out position may just get me where I want to be. Throwing ideas around again.

Jon

Quick Reply: Can I just put mini boards on my forward pegs? Or better adding boards on mid-mount?