Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine ticking noise when warm

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Signal18
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine ticking noise when warm

ever since i bought my bike (03fxdx) in jan its had a slight ticking noise when it warms up, the bike runs fine and pulls hard, the engine has been modified, just wondering if i should be worried or its normal

Old 06-02-2012, 09:19 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

if it ticks at idle Id be worried, if it only does it when cruising down the road welcome to the home of the air cooled push rod engine. some days mine runs quieter than others

Old 06-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Fatbob10
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine did the same thing dealer said its normal. Recentaly changed my motor oil (20w50) and transmission to Amsoil what a differance! The motor lost its ticking and has almost 700 miles since oil change. Just changing the oil has made a big differance.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:14 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I had ticking when my oil line blew off.
Good thing for me I had Amsoil and there was no damage whatsoever.
I refilled with Amsoil, drove it home and changed the oil again.
Absolutely no metal on the magnetic plug!
Amsoil is great stuff.
Ended up modifing the oil cooler to fit AN6 flare fittings and stainless braided hoses.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:23 AM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

geeze. im glad to hear this because i just bought a fat bob. new to the big air cooled twins. same thing. bike is mint 2008. 9k on it. no modifications. all records say oils changed at 1k 5k and 9k. pulls hard and sounds great except when it gets warmed up good and hot. hear a slight ticking noise when cruising. guess im just used to jap racing 4 stokes

Old 06-05-2012, 05:04 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Signal18
ever since i bought my bike (03fxdx) in jan its had a slight ticking noise when it warms up, the bike runs fine and pulls hard, the engine has been modified, just wondering if i should be worried or its normal
Sort of like a sewing machine ? then Ynots nailed it for you in the post #2

Mine did the same thing dealer said its normal. Recentaly changed my motor oil (20w50) and transmission to Amsoil what a differance! The motor lost its ticking and has almost 700 miles since oil change. Just changing the oil has made a big differance.
I've been running Amsoil in all three for at least 3 years and I still hear it while cruising, albeit quieter, the loudest I hear it is @ cruising around 2700 to 3000 rpm

Last edited by maddghost; 06-05-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:24 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Does it seem to get louder as you roll on the throttle and quieter when you idle along or just maintain speed?

I'm discovering the "normal" tick can be quieted with additives or different oil ... But NOT synthetic which seem to allow more sound to be heard.

I just added a LUCAS oil additive and was quickly pleased to not hear the high pitch lifter ticking noise. It's actually the design of the motor with the angle the pushrods strike the rocker, and it being open air cooled motor allows this sound to be heard outside of the motor.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:10 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine doesn't tick all the time..just when it's running!

Built almost the same motor for my brother and it sounds great...both 2006s.

I hate it, but after tearing into it and replacing things that didn't need replacing several times, I said the hell with it...I ride it like I stole it and if it blows up I will build it again.

Old 10-18-2014, 03:09 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Does it seem to get louder as you roll on the throttle and quieter when you idle along or just maintain speed?

I'm discovering the "normal" tick can be quieted with additives or different oil ... But NOT synthetic which seem to allow more sound to be heard.

I just added a LUCAS oil additive and was quickly pleased to not hear the high pitch lifter ticking noise. It's actually the design of the motor with the angle the pushrods strike the rocker, and it being open air cooled motor allows this sound to be heard outside of the motor.
Amsoil and M1 Syn oil both have a reputation of being noisey. Both oils are "thin" This does not mean they are bad oils. I have experianced this as well. I switched to Dino 20w50 oil and much quieter. I have since settled on running the Quicksilver 20w50 Vtwin Syn oil which is "thick" like Dino, but full synthetic. I have run this for the past year and it is quiet, feels right on my fingers and is synthetic.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:40 AM
T Prescott
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What ever you do don't put a windshield on...your head will explode.

Quick Reply: engine ticking noise when warm