Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cleaning bikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 08:44 AM
blueridge
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cleaning bikes

Who here thoroughly washes their bikes that is with water hose and a bucket of soapy water? I saw someone posted they just wipe their bikes down including the forks/gas tank and fenders. And not wash their bikes because its hard to get in the hard spots to dry out.

I am thinking just wiping down the bike as opposed to washing my bike. I have the '12 SB in black denim.

I know someone says to wipe black denim tank with windex or ammonia.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:46 AM
blueridge
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and what about the stock pipes and spoke wheels? Do you wash these and dry or just wipe down with a chrome cleaners? Maybe that is why some folks do not like spoke wheels LOL>

Old 06-02-2012, 08:50 AM
gonzo3426
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

old traditional wash...water hose, bucket of soapy water...wash top to bottom...hose off, manual dry with chamois...blow dry with shopvac if i feel like it for the hard to reach areas...when all dry, polish chrome, if i feel like it...sit and admire...drink more beer...i'm doing mine tomorrow...

Old 06-02-2012, 08:52 AM
gonzo3426
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when i had bikes with spoke wheels, used that wire brush spoke wheel cleaner...used that soapy water...wheni had the denim black bike, i never used ammonia or windex...same soapy water...i never really changed my vehicle washing habits...i just like a thorough clean job...

Old 06-02-2012, 09:01 AM
bg1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do a soap & water wash followed by the leafblower and some wax on the paint and chrome about 4 or 5 times a season. Other than that it is Meguiers quick detail spray and a microfiber.
The aluminum wheels are a total pita to clean - not because of the aluminum but just because it is so hard to get my hand around the dual front brakes and everything else in the rear. I usually do them as their own little project on a bad weather day. Just got done with them!

Old 06-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to do soap and water, but just started using S100 Total Cycle cleaner since I like their engine brightener so much. Spray the whole bike down with it, hose it off, amazing results. Then go over with soapy sponge to get tough bugs, etc.

Ideally i would have a spot free rinse and let it drip dry when done, but right now i use the blower

Old 06-02-2012, 09:08 AM
kyle90
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was mine with soap and water top to bottom. then i rinse and remove the saddle bags and dry manually. then use a blow dryer type device to hit the hard spots. then polish the whole thing.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:10 AM
Govno
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wash mine about twice a season with s100, rinse thoroughly and dry with microfiber, then use a leaf blower. Otherwise wipe down with "stripper juice" about every other week.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:38 AM
mang0
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

spray the bike down with pigsnot or simple green, hose off with garden hose (full pressure), suck up water with The Absorber cloth, dry off remaining water with a microfiber, touch up with pledge all purpose cleaner. About once-maybe twice a season i'll wax the tins.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:57 AM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't ever "clean" dry paint. You will wind up with lots of scratches. If your bike needs a good cleaning. Then brake out the soap and water. If you are worried about the water, just don't spray in an upward direction under the tank or seat. I usually spray horizontally accross the top of the heads to rinse the soap. But that is as far as I go.

Last edited by FXDWG12; 06-02-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Quick Reply: cleaning bikes