Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cleaning bikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 11:40 AM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wash mine with soap and water and blow dry it with a gas leaf blower. I used to wipe it down after every ride with S100 but that got a little old. I had issues using the soap and water while I had a Power Commander 3 USB because no matter what I did it always got water in the connectors. I got rid of it and got the SE Super Tuner Pro and now I don't have an issue. So, soap and water for me!

Old 06-03-2012, 12:01 PM
ryda
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I go to the car wash pull the seat and wash it. To finish I use the spot free rinse, wipe it down with shammy and hit the highway to blow off the water that was left.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:22 PM
norton
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The only time I use the hose is when the bike is extremely dirty which is about 3-4 times a year. The rest of the time I use that stuff called original bike cleaner and lot's of rags.

If I do use the s100 or equivalent and the hose, I always make sure I start the bike and then ride it down the road to completely dry it out before parking.

I will feel droplets for at least a mile or two plus the engine heat will help dry it out.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:49 AM
swbob
Advanced

I dry washed mine for the first time today withFW1,will be doing it this way from now on(very impressed with the results) and not one drop of water.
WARNING don't get on brake discs or wipe brake discs with gas when finished, i found out the hard way

Old 06-09-2012, 06:57 AM
sonnydaze
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dang , dont you guys have kids ? my 10 year old daughter washes my bike and drys it with a terry cloth towel then polishes it with wax and micro fiber cloth . she makes about 30 bucks a weekend off my friends ( 10 bucks a bike )

Old 06-09-2012, 07:29 AM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chamba
I would have never thought leaf blower... does it kick up any particles or dirt that could scratch? I am using the air nozzle from my compressor where the chamois wont reach.
Leaf blower works great. The pressure of the air is a lot lower than your compressor is so, you work safer when it comes to scratching. Main difference is that a leaf blower blows an awfull lot more air then the compressor and makes for a much faster job.
I use a pretty powerful Stihl petrol blower and I love it.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:12 AM
CMC
Road Captain

I have never washed a bike with a hose and/or water, for that matter. I use a spray detailer on the paint and Stoner's glass cleaner on the mirrors, chrome and shield. A little Nev-R-Dull on the other metal bits every now and then. My bike always looks clean. Of course, it almost never rains here - at least when I'm riding - and there are very few bugs to splat.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:47 PM
ZSKirkpatrick
Intermediate

I've used simple green for degreasing and it works great.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:57 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Spray wash ,bucket ,soap ,microfibre mitt,synthetic chamois (for blotting) royal blue finish wax.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use liquid car washing soap. I also have a bottle of fifty fifty mixed simple green to squirt on those hard to get to areas. It does wonders for the spokes and brake dust on the wheels. A wash mit and a very soft brush gets the job done really nice.

Quick Reply: cleaning bikes