Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doh

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 06:33 PM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,155 Posts
Default Doh

So I've sorta been admiring a few Dynas. I've had my XL1200L for a month or so and I'm already thinking about swapping it out for an FXD. Don't get me wrong, I love this thing but did have to replace the stock seat with a daytripper to make it driveable for me.

I talked with the dealer I bought it from (great guy BTW) and hes basically told me that if I was wanting something a bit bigger why waste my time and energy on a Dyna just go for the softtail and be done with it ... because he said I'd be back again anyway. I've drive 650-750 metric bikes for years so I'm not a noob to riding, just on Harley Davidson.

I drive to work mainly or run errands, and don't (at this point) have a chance to go on long rides so the Sporty suits me fine. But I keep looking at Dyna's what up with that?

What do you guys think? (Skip a Dyna and go for a Softtail? like he says). I respect this guy he has many happy customers and he's been in business for a long time. Test driving both is probably called for in this case.

Last edited by kontiki; 05-25-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:44 PM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 266 Likes on 138 Posts

Well, you're in the Dyna forum, so you might find a few replies to be slightly biased towards the Dyna's.

That said, I'm totally happy with my Low Rider, can't think of a reason to "upgrade" and get a Softail or Touring.

You probably already know the answer to your own question.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:44 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

It seems to be a common ploy for salesmen to steer people towards the higher priced bike. I personally like the dyna because of its simpler design. Non counterbalanced engine, twin shocks. The riding position fits my style. I really suggest you try them both out. Your not the first person to have a sporty and want to change to the big twin. You will love the torque

Old 05-25-2012, 06:50 PM
2011FXDC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I'm a little biased but I will tell you this. I could have bought any bike in the HD line up when I was looking but I went with the Super Glide Custom. After riding a few and sitting on many I kept coming back to the Dyna. Don't let anyone tell you what's best for you. From how you describe your riding style I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be happy with a Dyna. Take a few out for a test ride if your dealer allows and see what feels best to you.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Redcad
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted another Sportster too.

But my FXDC has what I wanted; the Sportser front end with all the Big Twin goodness thrown in.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Hutch12
Advanced

I am personally drawn towards the dynas for their performance, which allows me to confidently carve corners while still having the big v-twin power and torque.

My advice to you would be this: you're an experienced rider, so get out there and demo the bikes. Find out what you like, don't listen to a salesman that is trying to make a buck off of you. It would be a different story if you had zero experience, and were more likely to drop a bike on a demo ride *knock on wood*. Ride it, rank it, buy it.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:19 PM
macnab_sf
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both dynas and softails are nice, but I don't by any means see a softail as an "upgrade" from a dyna. They are both big twin engines. Just different frame designs. I see them as different styles.

I'd love to have a Deluxe, slammed with cholo pipes for true cruising, but I want my Dyna for riding faster. Sport cruising :-)

Try them both, but also keep in mind theres lots you can do after you bring the bike home to modify it in the direction you choose: bling, stripped, tour, fast, slow and low, etc.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:26 PM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,155 Posts

Thanks fellas. Nice lookin' Dynas you have. I'm gonna go by the local HD dealer tomorrow and see about getting a test ride.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:34 PM
risinoutlaw
Advanced

Like has been mentioned earlier, I wouldn't say that Softails are an "upgrade" from a Dyna; rather, it's just a different style. I feel the Dyna is a bigger, beefier Sportster, in that they are both well suited for aggressive and sporty riding. I love my Street Bob, but I'd love to also have a decked out Deluxe for nice easy cruising.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:35 PM
AllWeatherRider
6th Gear

Softails are nice if youre looking for bike for its looks. But they cannot beat the performance of the dynas, with softails you gain weight and lose the rubber mounted enigine. I've spent over 12 hours at a time on multiple trips in the saddle of my regular ole superglide so don't worry about their ability for touring as well. You'll never know till you ride them though....

Quick Reply: Doh