Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doh

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 10:37 AM
RDFXDF
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd take a Fat Bob or Wide Glide over any Softail HD makes. I thought the Crossbones were sharp but they don't make em anymore. Ride them and pick what you want.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:51 PM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,155 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrenthus
I never cared for soft tails. I don't like counterbalancers in engines, they rob power and are one more thing to break. Then I don't like the internal shocks, too difficult to access. Lastly, I just don't like the style that much. I don't like the big oil tank, and really don't like the hard tail look.
I spent some time at the local HD dealer today looking really close a the new ones and 3 nice used softtails with fairly low miles they took in on trade. I'm suppose to get back next week for a test ride, but I have to say agree with your statement.

Riding to work everyday on one of these (as decked out and chromed out as they were) would not be as trivial as it is for me on my sporty. It would make me want to keep the sporty and just use the softtail for special occasions and I can't quite justify having two bikes at the moment. MY thinking that the Dyna is a better compromise overall for me was reaffirmed.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Wakko47
Road Warrior
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

I chose the Dyna over the Softie as well, but I do love the Sportster..wish I could have both.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:25 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The Super Glide is most Sportster-like w/ its practical, no-nonsense look, high lean angles, mid controls and superior handling. But it towers over the Sporty in touring comfort. Its simplicity lends itself to EZ DIY maintenance.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:49 PM
kmontague
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i had a street bob. traded it for a street glide, which i thought was going to be my dream harley. very soon found myself missing my dyna, so i sold it and bought an 11 fat bob. best decision i have made. just my 2 cents

Old 05-26-2012, 05:51 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

hi,
I went with the wide glide, first bike EVER apart from a bicycle and they are fantastic

49mm FX forks, 34 deg rake, forwards and its just awesome, buy what you want brother

i run completely stock and its fine, get a bit of pop every now and again, can cruise til next petrol stop easy
thanks
mirrmu

Old 05-27-2012, 01:18 AM
PhotoRider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2 cents...

I own a road king, a CVO screaming eagle Springer soft tail and a dyna sport so I know and like all three. Each has its own place. That said...

The RK or any bagger is comfort and carrying ability. It glides down the road like a luxury car, but limited in hi performance aspects.

The softtail is fast,looks awesome and handles well. Not that practical since not bags or windshield looks good on it. Course another style st would solve that issue. It will compete against my buddies build 1200 in most situations. Only extreme corners will it lag so a softtail can be ridden hard.

The FXDX is the cats meow though. It handles very well and would be put it against any sporty. It would come to mostly rider skill. Having bags, windshield and even a small trunk it will tour just fine. If you are not large then two up is just fine. Same engine and frame isn't that must smaller than a softtail.

They say the softtail is the most versatile Harley, but I wouldnt agree. I believe for solo riding my dyna is.

However I get the most compliments from non bikers about the Springer and from bikers about my dyna. The road king is mainly stock so nothing special.

I bought my dyna as a rebuild project just for fun. I really only need at most 2 bikes though. One setup for long hauls .I.e the bagger and one for everyday. The Springer kind of did the latter, but I decided the dyna did it better so the Springer is being sold.

My advice is to try whatever looks good to you and fits your needs. See which one fits best and don't look back. Don't second guess your decision based on what the sellsman says even if its honest. Who cares what other people buy or do. If you do just jump up to a bagger because #1 in sales is a street glide and #2 is a roadking.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:25 AM
Hutch12
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you post a similar thread in the softail section? I'd be curious to see what kinda comments they had to say about our dynas.