Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doh

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 09:45 PM
98XL1200C
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with 2011FXDC.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:00 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

the dyna is a great bike but it wont be "just right" straight out of the dealer...your gonna want a new seat no matter what becuase the stockers arent very comfortable.

its not the best bike for 2up touring but it can be done and modified to handle it....if you ride two up 90% of the time id get a touring bike....

if you wanna ride fast and take the corners then the dyna is the perfect platform...you just gotta throw some money at it....or get yourself a crotch rocket haha

Old 05-25-2012, 10:17 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Since I originally had planned on buying a Fat Boy but also took out a Fat Bob at the same time I would say that I am likely the most unbiased you'll find here.
Here is my feedback, I took them both for the same route at the same pace. While the seat position was quite nice on the Softtail it was limited on the rough road, lacked sufficient clearence for any reasonable curves. In hope that I am not coming off as a know it all If you are coming off 650 & 750 metrics and a Sportster I would assume you not only favor some longer rides but also some more spirited riding and if that is the case you will quickly expose the Softtail's weaknesses. JMO here.
Bob

Old 05-25-2012, 10:24 PM
who...me?
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I came from a cbr 1000 and absolutely love my Fat Bob. So far it's been a very versatile bike. It's been the best of both worlds for me. I enjoy carving up twisty roads, but wanted to take longer trips with my wife. I can't lean it as far or get in a corner as hot as I could on the 1000, but for a 700 lb. bike I've been thoroughly impressed.

I initially struggled with the Fat Boy/Fat Bob debate, however like numerous people have mentioned you need to ride both. Trust me after a test ride it will be very apparent which bike is right for you.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:03 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

There isn't a softail in the lineup that I'd trade my dyna for. They are nice looking bikes and are a great platform for building a custom, but everyone buys a softail. I don't see many dynas where I live and none I see are like mine. The dyna suits aggressive riding better than the softail models. I know some guys who ride softails hard but they look like they're at the edge of the bikes performance while I'm just cruising. It isn't a very technical arguement just my opinion.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:10 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ryderbiker
there isn't a softail in the lineup that i'd trade my dyna for. They are nice looking bikes and are a great platform for building a custom, but everyone buys a softail. I don't see many dynas where i live and none i see are like mine. The dyna suits aggressive riding better than the softail models. I know some guys who ride softails hard but they look like they're at the edge of the bikes performance while i'm just cruising. It isn't a very technical arguement just my opinion.
+1,000,000

Old 05-26-2012, 06:44 AM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,155 Posts

Great info and very much appreciated. Will keep all of this in mind when I'm test riding.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:56 AM
johnjay
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not a matter of moving up to another larger bike, they are all completely different. You already know what Sporty can do, try a Dyna and see what that does for you, then try the soft tails and get a feel for them, next try the dressers. It all depends on your riding style.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:07 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

You're gonna love what ever you upgrade to, but, you're gonna miss your Sporty! Just sayin!!

Old 05-26-2012, 08:27 AM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,639 Likes on 681 Posts

Wonder if hd is pushing dealers to sell softies? https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...rue-story.html

I never cared for soft tails. I don't like counterbalancers in engines, they rob power and are one more thing to break. Then I don't like the internal shocks, too difficult to access. Lastly, I just don't like the style that much. I don't like the big oil tank, and really don't like the hard tail look.

But, that's all my opinion. Best thing is to try them both, see if you can really demo, maybe rent both and put some miles on them to know for sure.

Quick Reply: Doh