Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wich W/S

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 11:00 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Wich W/S

Okay, I know the weather here in Pa has been awesome, and I'm thankful for it, but I have been considering a windshield to keep the cold air off of my chest/face. I'm real skeptical about the look of one though. I'm considering a windscreen due to the compact look. What I'd like to here is input from anyone who has one on their Wide Glide. Preferably how tall you are, what size shield, what brand, and most importantly, do you like it.

Thanks a lot in advance !

Old 01-07-2007, 11:38 AM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Wich W/S

Well,.... there has been seeral threads on this subject over the last several weeks or so, and I think I managed to read most of them. I also checked out a couple of other websites that had info on them, since I've been considering a windshield on my superglide as well. From what I have read is that you will recieve "some", buffetting, but the amount of buffetting will directly be related to your height versers the height of your windshield. From what I understand and even the Memphis Shades website states this as well, is that the taller riders will need a taller windshield to avoid the severe buffetting. They also sell lowers to go on your forks to keep some of the wind from comming upwards as well. I've pretty much decided on one of the larger Memphis Fats 21in models with a set of the lowers as well, since it will mostly be used only on the really long rides anyway. Sorry that I couldnt give you first hand knowledge, but I have been reading up on this for a while now. You migt try doing a search and seeing what you can find out as well.

John

Old 01-07-2007, 12:12 PM
ameristo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a National heavy duty touring W/S for winter time on mine and it works great. I also have a windvest 14" for the summer and it keeps the wind off my chest, but my head is exposed. I have found that the ideal height for me is about nose level, or where you can see over the top of the W/S comfortably.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:34 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got the Super Sport quick detach (from HD) for my WG...it works beautifully. I don't really like the look of windshields on the WGs...but for any day under 65 degrees...or for those times you know you're going to be on the highway...there's nothing like it.

Todd

Old 01-07-2007, 02:15 PM
CHEESE
Road Warrior

I had a Windvest for a little bit, but I couldn't get it adjusted right with the way I have my bars angled (pretty close to vertical). It just didn't do me any good, always directed the wind right into my head. So, my opinion is that if you don't want to angle your bars back, the windvest won't help.

Old 01-07-2007, 05:45 PM
Jet x 4
Tourer

Jason
I have the same bike with the same question. I'm 6 ft tall and would like to find one that doesn't create abunch of buffeting around the helmet. I'll be watching this thread for suggestions. Thanks for the post.

Old 01-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the HD low profile "on my low rider". I'm 5'8" and it's perfect, i can see over it and the air goes over my head. It is at the top of the tree as high as it will go, if i lowered it 2 inches i get beat to death. The hard thing about asking this question as related to how tall folks are is that they may be the same height but have long or short legs or long or short torsoswhich really throws off their answers. Now did they change the seat out? I have heard that a good place to gage windshield height is that the winshield hit you about chin high. Also, it seems that updrafts with any add on windshield will be present without a lower fairing/or deflectors. After i got my windshield the next thing i did was go to a carbonfiber.com helmet. It's thin profile helped keep the updraft from trying to yank my helmetoff.IMO, Good luck.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:17 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm 6'3". Long arms, and legs. I'd want something that's easily removable because I think I'll only use it in cool weather, and long trips. Pics would be awesome too if any one has them. [8D]

Old 01-08-2007, 12:33 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here's a couple pics of mine....

Todd

[IMG]local://upfiles/6866/56FDA0D1457941F7930B69F88265EA34.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6866/40542998F0EB416F8108A4A21F5A233C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6866/F6D2AF57FB02411DACF94F38C3F022AB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Jet x 4