Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible new paint???

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 12:41 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible new paint???

I posted in a different thread about my issues with having a fender painted gloss black. To make a long story short, the body shop is not able to produce a decent paint job on it. Their second try was much better then the first but there are still runs in the clear in a couple spots. I've given up on them and will be going a different direction.

With that being said, I was bored and decided to paint an extra gloss black front fender that I had to see if I would like it and I'll be honest it came out better then expected. There was a pretty decent scratch in the clear so I scuffed it up really good and hit it with a high build primer. Wet sanded and primed again and then wet sanded until it was nice and smooth. Then I put four coats of matte black automotive spray paint that I bought from the parts store.

I'm so sick of the gloss black that I'm thinking of doing this to my tank and back fender also. I know that spray paint won't hold up long term and I'm not looking for that, it just needs to last about a year until I move back to the states at which point I'll have the bike professionally painted.

So thoughts...am I opening up a can of worms with this?

Last edited by nkauf21; 05-28-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:48 PM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not go the plasti-dip route. It will give you the matte finish and you can peel it off if you don't like it.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:55 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

I was actually thinking about that. The problem is that in the UK I haven't been able to find it in any stores like they have it in the States. I have found it online to order but it's about $27 a can.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:02 PM
jordanball33
Road Master

I say go for it! What did you err do about your rear fender problems?

Old 05-20-2012, 01:18 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ******ball33
I say go for it! What did you err do about your rear fender problems?
Honestly I just gave up. They did a great job with the body work but couldn't get the paint right. I really got tired of dealing with them. So I guess I ate the cost of the paint but I'm happy with the body work. I'm going to use the shaved full fender if I go through with this instead of the chopped one.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:36 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

Here are a couple installed pics of the front fender. I'm pretty happy with how it came out. I like the color a lot and also like that it's a wide glide fender. My gloss black fender was for mid glides so I was using spacers to make it fit and I think this looks like a cleaner install.

I've decided to go ahead with this. I've started working on the back fender. Since it's an extra fender I won't have much downtime. I'm going to work one piece at a time throughout the next couple weeks and I'll do the tank last.

Last edited by nkauf21; 05-28-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I really like the contrast between your gloss black fork legs and the flat black fender. Good work.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Robotech
I really like the contrast between your gloss black fork legs and the flat black fender. Good work.
+1. That looks good.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:23 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I like it!

Old 05-21-2012, 08:30 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I say go for it!!! It's so much easier to clean. I only wash my bike once or twice a year because it always looks clean. I just wipe the bugs off and wipe it down with Meguiers Quick Detailer after each ride. So nice to not have to wax my paint or polish my chrome. Leaves more time for the finer things in life.... like riding.

Quick Reply: Possible new paint???