Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sticky after it rains

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 01:02 AM
valter
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Sticky after it rains

Rear Brakes...

my rear brakes get sticky after it rains. (after I get caught in the rain) i push the brake down, it requires extra effort, and when i release, it doesn't come back on its own, i have to pull it up with my boot...after a day of being dry, it returns to normal...

anybody else ever have this issue, or know what causes it?

Old 05-20-2012, 01:11 AM
Wakko47
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

On the '11? Perhaps you need some caliper piston or pin lubrication?

Old 05-20-2012, 05:34 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If you are talking about the pedal then yes it has happened to me after the bike gets wet from rain or washing. I kept trying to spray lubricant on it and it might help for a little bit.
It started doing it really bad recently so I finally took the forward control brake pedal off and saw there was not a drop of anti seize on it like there is supposed to be according to the service manual so I slathered some on at the pivot point and it works good as new now. I don't know if there was ever any on there or if the water washed it away eventually.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:43 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Pig.... You just gave me a 'coulda had a v8' moment. Never dawned on me to use anti-seize on that part.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:51 AM
gonzo3426
Road Captain

a similar scenario occurred to me on my 06 FLSTNI...caliper pistons was the culprit...some rust inhibiting free movement...

Old 05-20-2012, 09:47 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Pig.... You just gave me a 'coulda had a v8' moment. Never dawned on me to use anti-seize on that part.
I had no idea either until someone on here mentioned putting anti seize on the pivot shaft.
I said it was listed in the service manual to apply anti seize but I was wrong, I meant the forward control installation instructions said to do this. See here http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J03509.pdf

Old 05-20-2012, 11:04 PM
valter
Tourer

there seems to be a few variants of loctite anti seize...any particular flavor i should pick up? I will try this before I take it in. it is truly annoying that this would happen to a practically brand new bike...i understood that my 01 sporty would have issues, but not my new bike...

Old 05-20-2012, 11:09 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

I just used whatever anti seize I could find at Advance Auto. I think this is what I bought
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...87_T%7CGRP2058_____#

Grease your shaft and you'll love it... hell do it to the bike too, it'll make the brake pedal feel nice and smooth.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:55 PM
Steel Steed
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
I just used whatever anti seize I could find at Advance Auto. I think this is what I bought
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...87_T%7CGRP2058_____#
That's what I got from Autozone.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:59 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 75 Posts

I had a lot of problems with my forward control brake pedal sticking. Dealer 'fixed' it and it started doing it again shortly thereafter, mainly in warmer weather. I have an exhaust with no heat shields and figure its burning up any compound on the pivot.

When I took it apart the plastic bushing and pivot fit together so tight I think something either expanded or was made wrong at the factory. I used a dremel and sanding wheel to remove a good amount of material off the plastic bushing and applied this high temp grease from AutoZone on the pivot and bushing. No problems since.

Attached Thumbnails Sticky after it rains-download.jpg  

Quick Reply: Sticky after it rains