Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

180/60 vs 190/55

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 04:11 PM
oakspeed
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

you need to change the rear rim to a 5.5. either 17" or 18".
just get the rim laced to your stock hub.
this gives you much more of a tyre choice.
ive explored every option out there.
changing the rim will pay for itself in a couple of tyre changes.
(at least it will do here in the UK).
hth.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:12 PM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oakspeed
you need to change the rear rim to a 5.5. either 17" or 18".
just get the rim laced to your stock hub.
this gives you much more of a tyre choice.
ive explored every option out there.
changing the rim will pay for itself in a couple of tyre changes.
(at least it will do here in the UK).
hth.
Wow. Thanks man. I really didn't even know that you could do that. So I learned something new again. I'm not just in love with the spoke wheels anyway. Even though I've had quite a few compliments on them. I've got custome wheels on the long list of mods.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:01 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 380 Posts

so. why is it dangerous to mount a larger tire on a 4.5 rim.

tons of cars plus size there rims and cars weigh a ton. there is no problems with the bead there.

Is that what people think will happen. it will loose hold of the rim and your tire will go flat.

I have a 180 that I am putting on my 4.5 soon If dunlop can do it for a 4.5. others can too.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:39 AM
oakspeed
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gartec81

the dunlop and michelins, (and night draggon) fitted to the wide glide are narrower where they fit the rim, narrower than the 180/55 sport bike tyres out there. im not saying its unsafe, each to their own, to make an informed choice.after asking many questions on the same issue of FXDWG 2010 up tyres, i was just sharing the input i recieved from members on here, and tyre/wheel vendors.

check out this site, http://hdwheels.com/index.htm

and click on the wire wheels option. lots of info on what fits "safely" and what doesnt.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:25 AM
FXDWG12
Road Master

Originally Posted by gartec81

tons of cars plus size there rims and cars weigh a ton. there is no problems with the bead there.

Is that what people think will happen. it will loose hold of the rim and your tire will go flat.

I have a 180 that I am putting on my 4.5 soon If dunlop can do it for a 4.5. others can too.
The biggest problem that I have found is with the 4.5 rim. As I mentioned, most 180 series tires are ment to be installed on a 5.0 rim. Seems that HD has came up with a 180 series tire designed for / approved for the 4.5 rim. So the HD rim is already oversized from the factory by ( 0.5 ). I've always been told ( as a rule of thumb ) that it is relatively safe to increase your tire size by 1.0 over the rim size. Normally, going from a 180 series tire to a 190 series tire would only be a ( 1.0 ) increase. But when you combine that increase with the undersized HD rim. You get a ( 1.5) increase. In a car, I might be willing to go over that far. But on a bike, why take the chance.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:46 AM
FXDWG12
Road Master

and click on the wire wheels option. lots of info on what fits "safely" and what doesnt.
Good website. But I don't totally agree. What you can safely be liable for as a manufacturer is different from what you can safely do as an individual. If the wheel size on my bike was a 17 by 5.0. I wouldn't have a problem at all with running the 190 series tire.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:55 AM
FXDB_pankaj
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I am using a Pirelli Corsa 190/55 R17 in my street bob with FATBOY rim. The handling to looks its an awesome change.
The details are in the following thread.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...l#post12550830

Old 04-08-2014, 01:11 AM
Kevin714
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,947 Likes on 807 Posts

the dunlop and michelins, (and night draggon) fitted to the wide glide are narrower where they fit the rim, narrower than the 180/55 sport bike tyres out there. im not saying its unsafe, each to their own, to make an informed choice.after asking many questions on the same issue of FXDWG 2010 up tyres, i was just sharing the input i recieved from members on here, and tyre/wheel vendors.

I have a 5x18" rim and I'm running a Dunlop 180/55 on it. I'm pretty sure the tire is the factory tire from the V Rods.

I've head the Night Dragons were narrower than the Dunlops...is this just where they mount to the rim or over all width?

Old 04-08-2014, 01:17 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The biggest thing that is very noticeable is how the other 180/190 tires push the center of the tire upward because of the narrow width of the rim.
When a tire is the correct size the tire stays uniform and performs correctly, when going up a size or going to a wider fitment of a tire then the center of the tire is pushed upward causing low mileage loss of traction.
I actually run a 170 on my wide glide just because of this reason. Took a couple of tires to figure it out. With a 170 you have lots of better choices. I hit the drag strip at times to have some fun and have now understand the difference. With a wider 180 series tire I spin really bad because I am only able to use the center part of the tire. I went to 170 series tires and now I have great traction at the strip.
If you want it to look wide and do it right go to a wider rim, probably a 5.5 inch rim. Just have it relaced.
Just a thought

Old 04-08-2014, 03:36 PM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Im going to a 190/60 Avon Cobra on my 17" HD revolver rear wheel... I like the AR of the 60 series better.

When I had the dumflop 180 on my old FXDL it did great in the twisties.. and overall the handeling was much improved and more "sure" feeling to me. But they didnt last very long and I ended up replacing them after about 3 to 4K miles..

Lots of tire threads on here.. and good info. in this one as well.

Good luck

Last edited by Frank Castle; 04-08-2014 at 03:37 PM. Reason: correction

Quick Reply: 180/60 vs 190/55