Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6th gear indicator light flickers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 07:38 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 6th gear indicator light flickers?

The other day I noticed that when engine breaking that my 6th gear indicator light would flicker on and off. I did a couple more engine breaks just to make sure thats what was causing it and sure enough, probably 3 out of the 5 times it flickered. Bike is running fine and 6th gear indicator light works normally in 6th gear, was just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing and/or possibly knows the cause.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:18 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I hope you were engine braking and not engine breaking. Two different things and one doesn't last long. As far as the 6th gear light flickering, that is because of the way the system works. There is no actual switch for 6th gear, the computer turns the light on when your at a certain speed and the rpm's match what you should be in in 6th gear. When downshifting it is possible to momentarily match that rpm & speed combination and cause the light to flicker, it's nothing to worry about. Just don't go breaking your engine.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:50 AM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DCLXVI
I hope you were engine braking and not engine breaking. Two different things and one doesn't last long. As far as the 6th gear light flickering, that is because of the way the system works. There is no actual switch for 6th gear, the computer turns the light on when your at a certain speed and the rpm's match what you should be in in 6th gear. When downshifting it is possible to momentarily match that rpm & speed combination and cause the light to flicker, it's nothing to worry about. Just don't go breaking your engine.

Haha, yeah breaking and braking, little bit of difference. I was doing the latter. Thanks for the info.