Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro Pipe Hi Output Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:36 PM
MTJM89
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro Pipe Hi Output Questions

I recently bought a Pro Pipe High Output for my 2011 Fat Bob FXDF. I had some trouble when it came to mating the header pipes with the exhaust pipe. I could not tighten the allen head bolts enough to close the space between the brackets welded on the back of the header and exhaust pipes. The figure in the instructions shows these brackets mated together with the bolts. Are the brackets supposed to be mated? I am getting some exhaust leak where all the pipes meet but I feel that if I try to tighten these bolts any more I will only be doing damage. I also managed to strip out the nut welded to the bottom bracket on the exhaust pipe and the the nut is no longer usable. I was thinking of getting a bolt that was a little longer to reach through the stripped out bolt. Any suggestions on this problem? I was also unaware that I bought the Hi Output (Dennis Kirk has it down as the regular pro pipe for the Dyna section). I love the way this pipe sounds but I'm concerned about it being too much pipe for my 96ci stock engine. What are the drawbacks of having too big a pipe? Thank you for your help.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:04 PM
itsteeravfool
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MTJM89
I recently bought a Pro Pipe High Output for my 2011 Fat Bob FXDF. I had some trouble when it came to mating the header pipes with the exhaust pipe. I could not tighten the allen head bolts enough to close the space between the brackets welded on the back of the header and exhaust pipes. The figure in the instructions shows these brackets mated together with the bolts. Are the brackets supposed to be mated? I am getting some exhaust leak where all the pipes meet but I feel that if I try to tighten these bolts any more I will only be doing damage. I also managed to strip out the nut welded to the bottom bracket on the exhaust pipe and the the nut is no longer usable. I was thinking of getting a bolt that was a little longer to reach through the stripped out bolt. Any suggestions on this problem? I was also unaware that I bought the Hi Output (Dennis Kirk has it down as the regular pro pipe for the Dyna section). I love the way this pipe sounds but I'm concerned about it being too much pipe for my 96ci stock engine. What are the drawbacks of having too big a pipe? Thank you for your help.
That high output pipe is way too much pipe even for a 103... let alone a 96. It'll probably just end up robbing you of power more than helping you. I'd try to get a different pipe.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:15 AM
Al-Sheikh
Advanced

The ProPipe High Output only offers disadvantages with a 96ci engine. Less power + less torque even compared to the stock exhaust. You basically have three options:

1. keep it for the looks and sound and live with the disadvantages
2. exchange the exhaust for something more appropriate, e.g. the ProPipe Black
3. start planning your engine upgrade to something bigger than 110ci

I'd go for option #3

Old 05-13-2012, 09:55 PM
MTJM89
Stage II

Would a 107 kit work well with this pipe?

Old 05-13-2012, 10:01 PM
boston joe
Advanced

Originally Posted by MTJM89
Would a 107 kit work well with this pipe?
called vance and hines and asked the same question they said "no" pro pipe HO is built for the 113" and up ..rep said particulary the 120r... can you use it yes but for the build to be worth it than you should go with the reg pro pipe or a d&d or bassani

Old 05-13-2012, 10:07 PM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

call V&H and ask them what to do about your dilemma. i'd also call dennis kirk and ask them why they sent you the wrong stuff.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Rmuller
Cruiser

Stop.
I have 96ci pro pipe no baffle. Stage one 74hp 88tq.
With cams 577 redshift. 95hp 98 tq. Pipe is fine. Best pipe at my shops dyno for stage 1 and up.
Just enjoy.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:12 PM
boston joe
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rmuller
Stop.
I have 96ci pro pipe no baffle. Stage one 74hp 88tq.
With cams 577 redshift. 95hp 98 tq. Pipe is fine. Best pipe at my shops dyno for stage 1 and up.
Just enjoy.
pro pipe is different from the pro pipe HO ... totally different stepped heads then a regualr pro pipe you are running. the HO on a smaller motor despite any work will not cause enough back pressure and will flow to much causing a lack of tq ..